Still Trying to Learn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbird560

Feb 2, 2011
SW Arkansas
My new NC-13 is due to arrive here March 3 so this question has nothing to do with any pending purchase but I am still curious and learning about the different types of stoves. Two of the stoves that come highly recommended and seem to come from very reputable companies are the
Woodstock Fire View and the Alderlea T5. The price difference between these two looks to be
minimal. My question is what is difference between living with the two stoves and discounting
whatever small price differences there may be, what would motivate you to buy one over the other. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so setting that aside what is the difference in performance and what would be the difference in burn time, wood consumption, and fire tending?

I think a lot of people still shopping would find this comparison valuable.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Jbird

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a comment about this type of question. Relatively few people have owned two similar stoves, let alone two specific stove models, so it is hard to find anybody who can answer this type of question. Maybe you'll get lucky, but more likely you will have anecdotes and opinions, but no real experience.

My stove is similar to your NC-13. I like mine and I bet you'll like yours.

Why on earth would one person purchase a Ford when he could purchase a Chevrolet for close to the same price? He might even through a Chrysler product into the hat here too. I'll leave the imports alone.

I love Ford Chevy arguments to bad you do not know the correct side.

LOL. There must be knowlegeable people who could speculate on the differences in living with the two different stoves without getting into the my stove is blacker than yours side of it. I know there are lots of fans on here of both stoves.

Jbird

I like both of those stoves but I am more of a cat stove fan than non cat. Both will do the job, one is a radiant rock and the other is a convective steel/cast hybrid. IMO a radiant stove is better for a more open floor plan and convective is better for close clearances and not so open floor plans.

The T-5 fire box has a good rep for long burns from a non cat but still don't think it could touch the consistant long burns of the similar sized Fireview.

I also prefer the radiant stoves, but i also have nothing really to compare- always been around radiant stoves.....

I think you just really need to decide what is most important to you. If I look at any stove I want plate steel. My next concern would the the dimensions of the firebox so that I can easily burn North - South. Lastly I would be concerned with looks. This is of course the order of importance if all other factors were equal.

Point is, my preferences are probably very different than others so it's tough comparing any two stoves especially if we haven't run both.

What I can say is that both are solid heaters and I don't have a single thing I feel I would want to warn you about with them. I really think you just need to pick the one that speaks to you the most and don't look back. Hmm, I used the exact opposite reasoning when getting married. Interesting.

pen

With the eminent arrival of the NC-13 I feel that I will have a good stove that will heat our open plan 1150 sq ft
bottom floor with another 415 sq ft of open loft above the bedroom, bath and utility room. Here in Arkansas it gets pretty cold for short periods of time but nothing like the cold we had in Vermont. It may be all the stove we will ever need to provide all the heat for our cabin and we may never change it out. That being said, there is something to be said for prettier stoves and the long burns offered by the cat stoves. I guess I am curious why
for the same money as the Fireview many people here prefer the Alderlea with cast iron rather than the soapstone and the cat. One thing I am sure of is that the NC-13 at the price I paid is probably the best buy
out there and will return most of it's purchase price should I decide to step up later.
Jbird

Beetle-Kill said:
They don't get any prettier than a Blaze king.

images

If I split this current stove in half, I'd have a BK on the menu for seconds. The reasons aren't because of looks however!

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.