Still using the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't run any AC the last two years. Last summer was a bust weather wise just too wet. We had a lot of problems with various fungus species.

I had to pull and destroy close to sixty tomato plants because of late blight. I did manage to salvage enough green tomatoes for us to make a double batch each of garden relish and green tomato mincemeat. This was a disaster because we didn't get any ripe ones to make sauce out of, eat, make juice, or salsa, and there weren't enough green ones to make my grandmothers hot green tomato piccalilli.

The strawberries also were affected by all of the moisture. I think we skipped more berries because of rot than we picked and we picked a lot.

By now you should have figured out that we do a fair bit of canning and freezing.

I burned almost a full bag of Okies between yesterday and today. It was raw both days. Going to be cool again tonight with more rain predicted! Guess I better dump some more into the hopper tonight. SIGH! I broke down and picked up some O'malley's to tide me over! Got to save the good stuff! Sure hope these 6 bags get me through!

Well at least I know the stash has some good stuff in it. Okies, Hamers and Cubex. All 3 burned really nice. Hard to choose from the 3! Still on the prowl for some more!

Burning again tonight. To get down to 38F and it finally quit raining. At least we are only burning at night.

Yep, still burning here. It's been in the high 40's -low 50's here the past few days, and tonight will get down around 38.

Yup Fire still going.

Ran the Prodigy last night all night and then shut it off this morning.

Will clean the little critter tonight and fire it up again for the eavening.

Still wet and blustery.

Snowy

Showers, below 40 tonight, might hit 80 on the weekend. I'm just glad to have a few bags left over.

Update on my post above.....the weather service just issued a freeze warning for my area......glad I haven't done the end of the burning season cleaning on the stove yet......she's purring away and the house is a nice comfy 71.

Hope the pellet heads in northern NY, VT, NH, & ME still have pellets....there's a Winter Storm warning for those areas......snow on April 27th????? YIKES!!! :gulp:

Still burning here! I guess we are spoiled up here with the warmer than normal temperatures especially during the day. So much so that most have forgotten that it is still spring and we normally do not put any plants in the ground until memorial day to avoid the frost. Cold and rainy here and tomorrow, buy by the time Friday rolls around there are expectations of temps in the 70s. It is an unexpected roller coaster, but I've got to admit overall I am enjoying the ride.

I keep on saying this is the last bag, then it gets cold again and I'd rather put on the pellet stove than turn on the furnace. I have about 1/4 of the hopper left, and then that's it. Really. Time to clean it and then break out the leaf blower. My stove has never been as dirty as it is right now because I keep on saying I'll just wait till the end of the year cleaning....Fortunately my lack of cleaning hasn't caused any problems. Here's to another toasty warm winter and a trouble-free stove this year.

Still burning here too. Stove's been running mainly at night and off during the day. Today, however, it ran all day! Temps are due to get colder for the next day or so, then warming up to possibly 80 by this weekend! Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.