Stink Bugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
Is anyone else having problems with these? Last year was the first time I ever saw one, and they were a nusance. This year we are having real problems with them. We were on vacation and one of our doors was not shut tight. We must have had 50 of them in our bedroom. We have easily killed 200 in our house. Then I find if you kill them that it attracts more of them. Many people are using vacuums and then your vacuum stinks. I started a fire last night and about 20 of them came out my Jotul from every nook and cranny. The worst part is nothing works to kill them. I can't wait for the first killing frost.

We had a Zillion of them on the outside of our home and I do mean a zillion. After talking to the "Bug Man" he suggested spraying them with a soap water solution. I mixed up a 5 gallon bucket of water and dawn ...16oz of dawn to 5gal water. Sprayed the solution on the bug infested exterior just like I was painting it. Have not seen one today.

Today, I havent seen them either. Think it was too cold last night. Had a lot the day before. They are really becoming a pita.

We have them but no worse then normal. I just read an article saying they're bad in a lot of place right now. I'm counting myself lucky so far!

Same PITA here too. I won't connect the last piece of stove pipe until I am ready to burn. I have a freezer bag over the end with a rubber band around it. I can see lots of them in there. Coal stove this year. Last year they were coming out of my insert.

Steve

G&Wnut;
We are near Pittsburgh also, there are some in and around the house but they are not to bad. Some neighborhoods have them like you describe.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Is anyone else having problems with these? Last year was the first time I ever saw one, and they were a nusance. This year we are having real problems with them. We were on vacation and one of our doors was not shut tight. We must have had 50 of them in our bedroom. We have easily killed 200 in our house. Then I find if you kill them that it attracts more of them. Many people are using vacuums and then your vacuum stinks. I started a fire last night and about 20 of them came out my Jotul from every nook and cranny. The worst part is nothing works to kill them. I can't wait for the first killing frost.

Are talking about Lady Bugs?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...D28X-_-100655853&locStoreNum=1236&marketID=93

zap

I never realized they didn't usually go that far north. The little bastards do stink as the name implies. I can remember picking them up as a kid and having that smell on my fingers for hours. Just yesterday I picked one up for my daughter and son to smell. The were pretty impressed by the smell and hopefully the little man will remember to just look and not touch.

Zap, we had trouble with lady bugs a couple of years ago. These are nothing like lady bugs, you obviously do not have them. You can check the links the others have provided to see the image.

Lots of them here also in the Mid-Atlantic.

Haven't seen too many more than usual here in SE Mass.
There's been one on the bathroom window outside for almost two weeks .
It moves, so I know it's alive , but it stays right there in the middle of the window.
We've always had stink bugs here, can't say I've noticed a big population explosion this year, like we've had lady bugs for the last several years.

Those things have been around for years and years. Worse yet are the bugs that will be invading homes in a week or so. Usually we find them the worst on a sunny October day from about the 5th through the 15th, depending upon the weather. They come by the millions. They look similar to the lady bug but they are not the lady bugs. These things do leave a stink if you tick them off. This is how they look.

Bugs.gif

Soapy water seems to do the best on them. It is said they do not like lemon scent too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Those things have been around for years and years. Worse yet are the bugs that will be invading homes in a week or so. Usually we find them the worst on a sunny October day from about the 5th through the 15th, depending upon the weather. They come by the millions. They look similar to the lady bug but they are not the lady bugs. These things do leave a stink if you tick them off. This is how they look.

Bugs.gif

Soapy water seems to do the best on them. It is said they do not like lemon scent too.

Huh . . . we get those too . . . didn't realize they were not lady bugs . . . either that or I've never ticked them off since I've never smelled any stink . . . maybe they just like and the way I split my wood. ;)

zapny said:
bsearcey said:
I've noticed that there are alot more around here than usual. Then my wife saw some news article on line about "stink bug invasion".

Then I see this thread. Apparently it's true.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20017382-10391704.html

Thanks for the link, I never heard of them before. Once it starts to get cold we get invaded by lady bugs.

zap

Got the stink bugs now with the lady bugs yet to arrive, but they will. Actually prefer the stink bugs as they are much easier to grab and toss out the door.

Dennis,
Those are not the stink bugs, I call them lady bugs. They will bite on occasion as I understand stink bugs will bite too (but the are slow movers and easy to catch). I have been getting spider bites or something on me, one has a rash around it so I am going to the doctor today. I have seen some ugly spiders while I have been splitting wood and hoping it is not from the brown recluse or lyme disease. Hopefully something minor. I have found that in a dead standing Oak that had alot of insects living in the dead bark and outer layer of the wood. You can see where the wood peckers were feeding.

Backwoods Savage said:

Bugs.gif

Those are Asian Lady Beetles. You see them swarming in the Fall because they are looking for a place to hibernate thorough the winter. Apparently they were introduced (some say on purpose some say on accident) from asia some time in the 60s and in their natural environment would seek cliff faces to hibernate on. Definitely not the stink bug that was originially posted about, but apparently just as annoying.

It appears some thought I was referring to these Asian bugs as the stink bug from the OP. No, I was not but these things are worse as they come by the millions. When we get a warm sunny day in October you can hardly stand it. Yes, they do bite. Yes, they can stink. Tick one off and he'll leave some yellow pee and that really stinks. Those little buggers can get through the smallest crack and then people are fighting them all winter long. My wife keeps an old yogurt container for her weapon of choice. If one gets in the house (they always do) then when they come out of the woodwork (usually on a sunny warm day) she simply knocks them into the yogurt container which has some dish soap and water in the bottom. That gets rid of them but then their buddies also come looking.

There also is another bug. I do not know the name of it but we've always called them pine bugs. If you tick one off he'll spray and it is super strong with the scent of pine. As I am typing now I see one on the window; thankfully, outside. They move quite slow and have fairly long legs and feelers. The wife simply grabs them by the feelers or just has them walk onto her hand and then deposits them outside where they belong. They are harmless but not welcome inside the house.

When my chimney guy looked up my chimney a few days ago, he said he saw hundreds of stink bugs. We had been getting them in that room fairly non-stop (as in, I vacuumed or threw out ~15-30/day every day). Once I put a plastic sheeting over the fireplace entrance way, they stopped appearing. Looking forward to having a block-off plate...

On sunny days recently, you can spot about 100 on the front of my house crawling around.

I haven't tried soapy water yet, but that's next :)

Status
Not open for further replies.