STINKS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy

Jan 6, 2009
Hey guys,
I have a few questions to those of you who had or are having problems with odor from your EKO 40. I finally got my stove running christmas eve, i waited a week to let the stove break in before complaning to the local supplier. Since then he has been over n gave me a pamphlet with knew settings for my stove. Those settings have not worked, so i have been trying to adjust with no luck to get rid of the smell. So in short i know at least 5 diffrent people who bought stoves from the same supplier (those stoves are EKO 25) and some have a far worse odor and some less. The supplier has tried several diffrent things with there stoves with no luck. I cannot see any visible smoke except once in a while a puff comes out on both sides of the fan cover, but the odor seems to be coming from door. I have a newborn in the house and would like to get rid of the smell. Will this stove always have a creosote smell? Also should i be messing with this myself, or should the company be doing something about this? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There are a few threads that talk about this. I think maybe EKO has changed the gasket design since I got mine, but here's my experience:

When I got it, I could smell (but not see) and acrid smell coming from the upper door. I studied the flange that the gasket seals against and discovered a tiny nick in it. I put a bit of high temp caulk on the mating surface of the rope gasket, put a little piece of saran wrap over it, and closed the door. Worked fine, no real problems since. There were a few times when I could smell a little bit during the first few weeks, but the gasket seems to have formed itself and hardened into the correct shape to seal really well.

Mine is indoors with no door between it and the living space. I'll get a tiny bit of normal smoke smell once in a while when lighting it, but nothing while its burning.

I have some leaks around my door on the hinge side where the upright welds are I siliconed them and fixed them. I think I still have some coming from under the metal skin. I will be removing the skin in the am to look. I have some smoke marks on the sheet metal. I will post my findings .

Rob

I saw a thread here in the boiler room that said to remove the loading door external panel and there are bolts going through the door that hold the door baffel on, these bolts are not getting sealed at the factory use high temp silicone seal the bolts reinstall door skin...Good luck,Dave

I have had the same issue, please read my post titled eko 40 gasket, this has proven to be a temporary fix, the smell is slowly coming back. The problem as I see it is the use of porous gasket material that will be coated with creosote. Cave2k has had some, not sure how much success with high density gasket material from patriot supply. My supplier is awaiting some silicone gasket material that is square and obviousely non porous. I have entertained the idea of coating a rope gasket completely with silicone but haven't tried it yet. Honestly I am afraid to remove the gasket that is working much better than original and not being able to reinstall it

Thanks alot for the feed back, ill try to remedy and let you know how i make out.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.