Stinky Car A/C?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
So my wife's Beetle's A/C smells like mildew when she runs it, I thought I recalled seeing a quick fix here? Thanks.

I was told by a mechanic that you should run your ac once a month winter or summer. Since I have been doing that the weird ac smells are no more.

Run aerosol lysol room freshener through the system. Blower on high and spray into the vent intakes beneath the windshield. I would run it though the heater and the AC by switching the controls. Concentrate on the AC side though. What's happening is the condensation that forms on that cold evaporator grows some funk. It's a wet, dark environment that warms up when you shut the engine off. The fresh air from outside drops lots of organic food on the wet evaporator which feeds the bugs.

Pretty nasty environment.

Can we assume that the condensate drain is working? Does it drip water when using the A/C?

In the winter, your AC gets run by using the defrost control selection on your HVAC. Most every modern automobile cycles the AC compressor whenever the defrost setting is selected whether you like it or not. This has the benefit of keeping the compressor lubed and free. Not so much benefit for keeping the funk at bay.

Agree with the lysol in the intake vents....have the same problem on our 2005 Honda.
Also, you might check to see if their is a cabin air filter on the car..ours had one and it was downright nasty...was appx $15 to replace...smell is gone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.