Stinky Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletstovenewbie

Dec 7, 2007
midwest
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever changed the glass door gasket on their stove and had the stove smell really bad after that while it's running? Just checking other possibilities besides the crayon in the vent thing, because we did just change the gasket too.

You may get a slight smell from the gasket cement or silicone (whatever you used) to glue the new gasket on. Personally, I would use gasket cement and NOT silicone, even high temp. The door of a pellet stove can definitely get up above the 500 or 600 degree that silicone is good for, which is why they use ceramic glass (1400 degrees) instead of pyrex or tempered (500-900) on most pellet stoves!

Thank you for the advice. I'm one of those people that can smell EVERYTHING. I our glue did smell for a while. Now I know we definatly have crayons in the vents. This website is awsome, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.