Stinky Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy118

Sep 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I picked up 4 bags of North American Pellets from the local Lowe's last weekend. I have never seen this brand here before. My wife had the stove burning on the second bag of these and when I came home from work I smelled what I will describe as "sour" smoke. Very un appetiaing. I am so used to smelling the real smoke from the stove that it hit me like a slap in the face. It was definatley the pellets. My neighbor even commented if I changed the "wood" that I was burning, and that she liked the old one better!!!
I also notice a whole lot more ash is produced by them as well as not as much heat, (digital thermo in air stream out of stove, recorded rather regularly). I have been using Prestos till now and am really happy with them,, stove chows were OK, but not as good as 2 years ago, Cheat river s**ked all around. Green supremes were Ok, but not as good as the Prestos.

John

Stinky, huh? Wonder if somebody snuck some willow into the wood pulp
at the pellet mill? Willow is BY FAR the worst smelling wood I've ever
burned...Even in a campfire pit...Smells just like somebody peed on it...

The North American pellets that Lowes sells are just the crappy re-bagged hardwood Curran's.....I burned some and don't like them at all....no heat.

What does it smell like?

I don't get any smell from my stove, good or bad.

I've only burned two brands, Olympus, and Clean Burn.

Dave

Presto Logs do smell good burning.

Im regularly outside smelling the vent ;-P

But seriously. Some pellets smell Way better than others. Somersets are another favorite. Just smells like efficient combustion!! :lol:

The North Americans I got last week at Lowes were a soft/hardwood mix, Nothing at all like the Currans I burn. They just plain SUCKED (they didn't stink though) , glad I only bought two bags to try.

my dog peed on 2 bags of my stove chow. not wanting to waste them, in the hopper they went. they really werent wet by the time i discovered this fiasco so the pellets looked normal.

talk about stinky smoke! my road stunk of dog pee for 1.5 days while they burned. i'm suuuuure he loved this.

i dont know if it was the picture of the tree on the bag, or the fact that they smell like trees or a bit of both.

im not bringing him with me into the garage anymore, thats for sure.

Dr.Faustus said:
my dog peed on 2 bags of my stove chow. not wanting to waste them, in the hopper they went. they really werent wet by the time i discovered this fiasco so the pellets looked normal.

talk about stinky smoke! my road stunk of dog pee for 1.5 days while they burned. i'm suuuuure he loved this.

i dont know if it was the picture of the tree on the bag, or the fact that they smell like trees or a bit of both.

im not bringing him with me into the garage anymore, thats for sure.

Now thats funny!! Good job fido!!!

DexterDay said:

But seriously. Some pellets smell Way better than others. Somersets are another favorite. Just smells like efficient combustion!! :lol:

Vent sniffer!!

jrsdws said:
DexterDay said:

Vent sniffer!!

Guilty as Charged!!! ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.