Stinky Wood........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hookspacken

Nov 8, 2006
Troy, NY
I was splitting up some of the free Poplar that I had gotten a few months back and man, does that stuff stink when it is wet! Anyone know what it will smell like when it is dry and burning, does it still stink that bad?

It'll be fine when it dries out. There's a kind of elm that supposedly smells like urine when burned dry, but that's about it as far as I know.

Red oak, in particular, can smell pretty bad when fresh. I think it's all the tannic acid.

Eric, red oak gives off a very pleasant odor! But if you want something really sweet, cut sasafrass.

Dry Poplar doesn't smell bad burning. But when is gets good and dry don't let anybody smoke near your woodpile.

hookspacken said:
I was splitting up some of the free Poplar that I had gotten a few months back and man, does that stuff stink when it is wet! Anyone know what it will smell like when it is dry and burning, does it still stink that bad?

My experience is that poplar smoke is awful stuff, but if it's dry and you are burning properly there won't be much smoke and even less in your house to breathe. I never noticed that it smelled bad when wet, I mainly just remember that it grew tons of mold even after splitting and stacking. Which is why I've switched to pine for my "light" wood.

a few months ago i cut up a 60 foot poplar and it didn't smell at all. it was so wet in side it just about dripped. i'm not a good person to ask about what kind of wood is what so i ask my nabor. he is a arborist and he said it's poplar.
maybe a different type??????????

There are three or four different species of tree that go under the name "poplar."

Trees are like people: some individuals smell a lot worse than others.

I've cut a lot of red oak, and to me, it can range from no/mildly pleasant odor to rancid whiskey vomit.

all the red oak i've split smells like a nice ripe dog poop. for about a good month while on the rack. the wind brings it around the corner to my back deck.
but i sure like it in the stove.

Me and another guy have been working on cutting up a massive red oak, approx 36" diam at bottom. I haul in a cargo van, so when I get in I get the full scent. It smells acidic to me, probably the tannins, yet I like the aroma. Its a subjective thing I'm sure, but the bottom line is it sure does have a fragrance. Now to me, silver maple is really unpleasant, like a bitter smell, yuk! But if its free and burns and heats well, it all comes off smelling sweet in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.