Stiring the burn pot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
I have read a lot of posts from pellet stove owners that say they stir their burn pots. What does this mean? To stir mine I would have to turn off the stove.

Likewise, but there are some older stoves where I think that is possible.

No worry, all you need to do here is start a thread pellet vs wood or cat vs non-cat and you will have stirred the pot plenty.

Stir, scrape, is that not the same thing?
2 y.o. St Croix Prescott:
I scrape the pot several times a day to
keep the holes clear. No need to shut
my stove off.
Throw on my Ove glove, open door,
scrape pot with scraper tool supplied
with stove. Shake down the grate.
Close door. Done.

I scrape mine every other day....never seems to need it everyday yet...just open door...give it a few hard scrapes and shut door...done

I just stired my burn pot and my stove didn't turn off. Next time I will time it to see how long I can have the stove door open before the stove shuts down.

stirrring the pot, or "scraping" is essentially removing the excessash or "clinkers" for the burn pot. this allows for a cleaner burn. different pellets and stove brands dictate when and if this is necessary. most stoves will stop feeding when the door is opened but do not shut the unit down, as long as the act of stirring is done quickly and the unit can catch back up it will not require shutting the unit down as long as precautions are followed to ensure that the body is protected from direct flame

Man, thought this was somewhere way far far away. Keyed on the wrong word. Personally, when I walk by the stove and it's not right, I open the door, "pluck" the clinker, stir the burn pot to remove the ash and close. Check back in two to three minutes and make sure the flame is right. Probably takes 2-3 minutes. Of course, one out of four times I flick the clink and the stove goes out. Oh Well, start it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.