1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stocked the wood shed

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by tfdchief, Jan 19, 2013.

1. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I can only get about half the winter in my wood shed. So about this time of the year, I pick an nice day and fill it back up. It got up to 52 with the sun shining today, in January......really? Sunday night,1 degree predicted for the low. I'm ready.

photo.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Looks good chief, we have some strong winds coming (gust of 65 mph) in with some very cold weather. Hope they are wrong.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I'm pretty sure you will stay warm Zap.;)
    Backwoods Savage and zap like this.
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Great looking stack,Chief.

Same stuff headed our way too.Was 37 when I woke up at 530 today,54 in early afternoon & 42 right now.Supposed to be 5 to 10 at sunrise tommorow _g with highs in mid teens,howling winds & 40% chance of light snow.Lows next 2 nights around zero with the warmest temps of the week upper 20's by Wednesday then cooler for next weekend again.Pretty much normal for this time of year around here - coldest time of the year is late Jan to early-mid Feb.
    tfdchief likes this.
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I think most on this site are ready for what Mother Nature will bring.
  6. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Nice work TFDChief! That looks like a nice supply. How much do you put in there twice a year? How much are you heating?
  7. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    If zap is still cold burning that liberty and or a pellet stove then there is a serious problem!!!
    Thistle and tfdchief like this.
  8. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I burn about 3 cords each winter.....more or less depending on how long and cold the winter it is. I heat 1500 square feet of 1974 ranch, single story. I used to do it with the old buck in the living room. Now I have 2 stoves, with the addition of my wife's little Hampton in the kitchen. That little stove made it a lot easier. When it is cold, 2 stoves heat the place without pushing either hard, and when it is not so cold, the little Hampton, by itself, doesn't over power the house like the old buck did.
  9. tigeroak

tigeroak Member

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    Cheif
    I did the same thing but I put only a cord or close to that on the porch. We are not far apart. Use to hit a lot of auctions up that way, at a building close to a railroad tracks.
    tfdchief likes this.
  10. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I forgot to answer you first question. I put about 1.5 cords in there in the fall, and then another 1.5 about now. The wood shed will hold
    3 cords, but the "wood shed" serves several functions and I like to leave room for other things.
  11. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Wow, not far apart at all! I know the place. I know Kansas. Stop at the city bldg in Tuscola if you are up this way and see me.;)
  12. tigeroak

tigeroak Member

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    Will do , I haven't been up that way for a year or so at a auction. We go to Champaign every 2 months to see wifes doctors since she had her cancer
    tfdchief likes this.
  13. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I go home on monday after being away for a week.

I expect to spent 15 minutes bringing in a cord. 3 pallets.

Then.. i'm grabbing the snowmobile and headed to Canada. Looks to be temps below zero.. the wife' will keep the home fires burning while I'm away!

JP
    tfdchief likes this.
  14. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Love the pallet method of moving the wood around. Has made it so much nicer to just run out and bring up a pallet then drop it in the garage.
    chvymn99 and PapaDave like this.