Stocking up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickspipe

Jan 23, 2014
Ct
Got ash and red oak delivered free and took down i think an american elm today. The elm is not good wood but its free. Real fibery stuff, but now onto building the shed :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 210
Nice, its definitely that time of year.

Reactions: patrickspipe
Elm isn't bad at all. Not quite as long-burning as Oak but it's all BTUs. :cool:

The only problem with elm is that some can be very difficult to split. Other than that it makes for some fine stove chow.

Welcome to the forum Patrick.

The key to getting good elm is to wait until it is dead and all or most of the bark has fallen off the tree. Unless that tree was grown out in the open (where the wind causes twists in the grain), it can be split without getting all stringy and it also splits about 10 times easier than a fresh green tree of elm.

Thanks for the tip savage. This tree had to come down though, one liter had already fallin and the other was hanging over the neighbors house with poor root/ trunk foundation. So should i leave it in log form for a year? Or split it now??

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks for the tip savage. This tree had to come down though, one liter had already fallin and the other was hanging over the neighbors house with poor root/ trunk foundation. So should i leave it in log form for a year? Or split it now??

As Jags stated, the sooner you get it split, the sooner it will dry. I would not wait but split it and stack it as soon as you can. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.