Stocking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
Got some wood in the shed today. Moved about a cord of my white oak that just spent it's third summer in the stack, and a bit of cherry and ash. It's pretty easy with the drive-through shed, but when the shed's full, I loose my trailer storage.

Attachments

• IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 447
Very cool.

schortie said:
Got some wood in the shed today. Moved about a cord of my white oak that just spent it's third summer in the stack, and a bit of cherry and ash. It's pretty easy with the drive-through shed, but when the shed's full, I loose my trailer storage.

schortie; nice shed. How much does it hold?

zap

The drive through part wasn't planned, but worked out pretty well. Fully stocked and stacked to almost seven feet I can get just over four cords in there.

I was going to ask the same. I'm planning to build a shed similar to that next spring. It's going to be a lean-to off the side of my small barn.

What are the dimensions of that thing? I'm looking to do something that's about 12 feet wide and 9-10 feet deep.

That looks great, especially the drive through part. Beats the heck out of backing up...

great set up. Smart.

schortie said:
...but when the shed's full, I lose my trailer storage.

I like that setup a lot. Dunno how much wood you burn during a season, but maybe your last load into the shed could be a trailer load piled high & parked for the duration. Then the trailer can spend the winter in its house. Maybe that would make pulling wood out of the shed during the season more awkward, though. Anyway, pretty cool deal you got goin' on there. Rick

schortie said:
The shed's about 15' by 9' give or take.

Thanks. I might have to rethink my dimensions, as I was hoping to get 4.5 to 5 cords in my footprint. Although I suppose I could always just put the first batch of wood for the season up on the porch, where it's going to go evenually anyway.

Do you go right up tight to the roofline with the stacks, or do you stop at 5 or 6 feet?

schortie, I like the trailer too.

Thanks for the kudos guys. Sure feels good coming from you seasoned folks. After doing the math again, stocked full and to 6.5 feet, the shed should hold about six cords.

I've had that same thought Fossil, but it gets mighty tight with the trailer in there, especially trying to lug wood out. So, my trailer gets a tarp and the wood gets the shed.

Dennis, I like that trailer too. Got it for $200 a coupla years ago and although it has taken a lot of trips (it's only 5x8) it's brought all of the wood I've burned the last couple years and the wood next year. Plus, the little lawn tractor can pull it when it's 3/4 full of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.