Stockings Above Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
New burner question here...

My wife wants to hang the stockings on the mantle already (losing battle on the early decorating, ive tried and lost lol) but we just got our insert installed this year and I'm not sure it's safe hanging cotton by a precarious tiny hook over a 600 degree steel box. Same with plastic fake garland/wreaths. Its an osburn 1600 that protrudes a good amount from the fireplace.

What do you think? Making her happy would make my life easier of course, but safety is my #1 priority. I'm ok with stuff ON the mantle but hanging makes me nervous. Here's a picture:

20201118_155216.jpg

PS - This insert bangs. It heats fully heats our 1800 sq ft two story cape with ease. 28 degrees out and its 74 in here just burning poplar uglies. ::-)

I've got a newly-installed insert, and have wondered about the same thing. My guess is that, ideally, you'd want to make sure that anything hanging off the mantel complies with the "distance to combustible" measurements in the manual. Maybe hanging them near the ends of the mantel would work? Probably depends on your reproductive rate. Of course, conversion to Judaism is always an option...ha ha. Problem solved!

In an unrelated note...where'd you get that ash bucket? I need to pick one up myself...my tinfoil-covered galvanized bucket doesn't look too snazzy.

Reactions: Shrewboy
This photo was all staged. Stockings spent the rest of the time meeting minimum distances to combustibles. It’s not worth the risk. Now maybe you can compromise with some non combustible “stockings”. Painted metal ones maybe, nomex?
Evan

Attachments

• 3B1F2E34-C70B-491A-AC08-8015192B6029.png
    3B1F2E34-C70B-491A-AC08-8015192B6029.png
    597.6 KB · Views: 151
In an unrelated note...where'd you get that ash bucket? I need to pick one up myself...my tinfoil-covered galvanized bucket doesn't look too snazzy.

I got it at the local stove shop for like $60 I want to say. I just checked the bottom for any info but no dice other than it was made in Canada.

It was a pure appearance upgrade as I also used to have a small galvanized metal looking trash can that worked fine but the wife vetoed that look pretty quickly. She was right though. You hardly notice this one is there when you're in the room, it just blends in with the insert.

Ive seen similar looking ones at Tractor Supply and Home Depot but I can't speak to their quality.

Reactions: Riteway
Go for it, I'll show up in the big red truck

Reactions: MainePatsFan
My contribution to the dog thread shows what I do: https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/lacy2-jpg.267118/

Notice I removed the stockings directly above the stove. I nailed old cut nails into the mantle so the stockings just hook on the nails. My stove doesn't run 24/7 but any time there is a hot fire going there is nothing directly above it. The bricks and even the wood mantle become very hot to the touch when it has been cruising along at 550 degrees all day. Recently I noticed a small plastic melt spot on the top of my stove. I think something had fallen off the mantle and happened to land on the stove and apparently nobody noticed. Not worth the risk, don't put anything combustible directly above the stove.