Stolen firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
Alleged timber thieves caught

Six members of an alleged timber theft ring, who victimized landowners in Dutchess and three other New York counties, were arrested after an investigation that lasted more than two years and included 11 law enforcement agencies from two states and the federal government, the Department of Environmental Conservation announced Friday.

Those arrested were accused of cheating eight landowners out of approximately $77,000 from the sale of timber from their lands.

The alleged timber thieves would log a parcel of land and lie about the value of the harvest. They allegedly used false names, business names, references and insurance documents.

Absentee landowners

Most victims were absentee landowners, and the DEC expects other victims have yet to be identified. The DEC is asking others who may have been victimized to call 1-518-897-1326.

The DEC urged landowners to prevent trespass and timber theft by clearly marking property boundaries, communicating with neighbors and making careful decisions about timber harvesting — including seeking professional help prior to a sale.

— Dan Shapley

article in the Poughkeepsie Journal dated 4-15-06

They should be strung up, beaten with a steel rod, drug out to the woods by their own skidder and left to rot and be eaten by the animals for the land that they stole the wood from. Timber theft should not be taken lightly!!!!!!
That can give firewood cutters and loggers a bad name.

Hmmm sounds like the East coast version of cattle rustling. I heard a nasty rumor that if a rancher catches you rustling his cattle he can still legally hang you on the spot. Don't know if it's true or not, but archaic laws have a way of staying on the books long after their usefullness has expired. (You still have to tie your horse to a hitching post according to law in Sundance Wy.)

ugh...Sundance......I used to live in Gillette....know Sundance all too well. Yea...even us refined east coast folks arent immune to stupid laws......in MA, you still have to walk your carriage across an intersection, and must always have a lantern at night!

downeast said:
There is little timber trespass ( aka : stealing trees) here in Maine. It may have to do with the high per capita firearm ownership.
Can you spell "Glock" ?

Hard to run away with an oak under each arm.

hardwood715 said:
Alleged timber thieves caught

Six members of an alleged timber theft ring, who victimized landowners in Dutchess and three other New York counties, were arrested after an investigation that lasted more than two years and included 11 law enforcement agencies from two states and the federal government, the Department of Environmental Conservation announced Friday.

Those arrested were accused of cheating eight landowners out of approximately $77,000 from the sale of timber from their lands.

The alleged timber thieves would log a parcel of land and lie about the value of the harvest.

Any way you look at it, this is tough money - heck, whatever happened to good 'ole white collar crime and ripping off hurricane victims for their deposits on new roof!

Next thing you know, they'll be stealing from Rock Quarries!

hey, Craig.....not too far off! In our area of the world, not far from Craig, actually, we have many stone walls erected hundred(s) of years ago by farmers clearing fields. Would you beleive we caught guys stealing stones from our stone walls for fieldstone fireplaces?! No, these arent public property. Guys pull up with pickup trucks and just start heaving the rocks in! Disgraceful.

I say, catch them and let the law and judicial system deal with them. You never know, it MIGHT be an honest mistake but doubtful. And who reimburses the property owner for the trees lost?......it will likely take more than a lifetime to regrow them. Hmmmm.....how about total asset liquidation of the criminal after found guilty?

I thought this thread was about driving up and stealing stacked cordwood.

nobody notices the sound of chainsaws and trees crashing to the ground? must be some large properties.

downeast said:
? Do you harvest your winter heat ? Do you pay your property tax with the timber you cut on your own woodlot ?
Whew.................Sorry Craig, this does get quite political.

Well, as far as the law remember that it is made by the biggest crooks of all - the politicians. All they can hope for is that we spend so much time chasing timber crooks that we will forget how they are "raping" us!

We'll have to see how this case plays out. Is it just a case of a "short count"? If so, this probably happens 90% of the time someone gets firewood delivered. Or, is it trespass and robbery?

The deal in this is probably the same as with similar crimes - if they intentionally defrauded people (and it seems they may have), they are probably in for it.

The funny thing, again, is that our politicians intentionally defraud us in just about ALL their stealing as well as their other actions and words. Do the crime, do the time.

But at the same time, seeing a guy who cut more wood than he paid for in jail while some Enron guys run free does not sit too well. I say pay the folks back with interest and community service as well as tree planting.

downeast said:
There is little timber trespass ( aka : stealing trees) here in Maine. It may have to do with the high per capita firearm ownership.
Can you spell "Glock" ?

Yeah, but those same weapons can be used to kill others, as that wacko who just went on the spree there with the sex offenders did! I know someone will pipe in here and say they deserved it, but after all those FALSE situations and trials in the 70's and 80's, I don't trust the system anymore in telling me accurately who an offended might be. I think we should go back to the big A's of the forehead for adultry - OH, well since over 1/2 of the population would need them I don't think so!

Ok, now I'm off-topic, but Bill O'Reilly killed these guys just as if he pulled the trigger himself. When you whip up the townsfolks and tell them to take action - well, they do!

Status
Not open for further replies.