Stolen Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckthorn Burner said:
Here is the trailer/bike set up. It carries more than my station wagon and if the thing collapses into splinters I really don't care. I would care if i wrecked the suspension on my car. The most expensive thing was the mountain bike wheels and those were $ 15 each. Recently the the boom connecting the trailer to the seat of the bike cracked so I wrapped it in fiber glass.

Dude, you are my kind of psycho.
Get R done!

If I put that kind of work into gathering my wood, I would mount a hidden webcam and catch the thieving bastages.

off subject a little but same theory
I had a bird feeder out behind the house, the kids would cut thru the yard and knock it off its post
so after a few times of fixing it, I came up with a solution, follow along and I know it would be easier with products available today

I used a micro switch mounted under the bird house
a pressurised the air tank, a small one
a sprinkler head and red dye

how it worked
the tank had red dye it pressurised to 100 psi, I used a 12 volt soleniod to close it
when the bird feeder was knocked off the post it closed the circuit, opening the solenoid
releasing the red dye out of the circular sprinkler head turnig everything in an 8 foot radius red
never had a problem again hehehe
I thought I might get a call from some parents about ruining some clothes
but it never happened

So sorry you got robbed. And of something so labour intensive and needed for your survival!
I agree with others that more questions should be asked. Somebody must have heard / seen something. It's a lot of work to steal that much wood.
Good job wrapping it in wire.
Hope it stays there this time!

IronPony, that's awesome!

We have one of those "Scarecrow" devices (motion activated sprinkler to scare away deer and other critters) but I would have never thought of what you did!

BBurner, I like the new chicken wire firewood pile...just hope it works.

That setup is FREAKING AWESOME, you are one motivated SOB. Are you a CrossFit'er by any chance? If you are that motivated I think you would really enjoy it. I think I would put up a driveway alarm and meet the MF'rs outside a la Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. M1 Garand pointed at head "get the F away from my wood pile fish head"!!!!! Yea Boy

That is some hardcore scrounging. :cheese: I would defenetly talk to my neighbours and ask them to keep an eyeout for any strangers.
If its happening at night is there anyway you can stretch some sort of spike strip across the driveway and puncture the guys tire when he pulls up to the pile ?
Once his truck is stuck he aint going anywhere, then just call the cops and report that somebody is trying to break into your house.......

Pretty sure a spike strip would be considered a boobytrap, not a good idea in the U.S. unless you enjoy prison.

Sorry to hear about this. I can sympathize. During the recent power outage here in the Northeast, I had 1 year seasoned wood being stolen by the armful. Like others on the forum, I scrounge split and stack my own supply. It sits on the blind side of my property but visible from the street. My tarps were covered in snow after the storm...so they rooted around in the middle of the night...snatch and run (I guess)...the bad thing was, the subsequent days were in the 50's..so with the tarps disturbed, the wood was getting wet as the snow melted. As a result, I took about 2 cord and moved it into my garage. May not have been the best course of action as I am wary of insects...but I was pissed! Also I like the idea of going into the garage as opposed to the outside to replenish in sub zero tempeature. I then took all of the downed branches from the storm and piled them in front of the remaining wood...making it pretty difficult for someone to raid in the darkness of the night...I think my message got accross...haven't seena problem since. Every person I have told this to has said the same thing "If they had knocked at the door and asked for it you would have given them some"....that statement is true.

Dune said:
Pretty sure a spike strip would be considered a boobytrap, not a good idea in the U.S. unless you enjoy prison.

How do you figure that? If he wants to cover his drivway in plywood boards with nails sticking out that is his business. It is his driveway right? Just dont do it on the walkway.

wazzu said:
Dune said:

How do you figure that? If he wants to cover his drivway in plywood boards with nails sticking out that is his business. It is his driveway right? Just dont do it on the walkway.

I don't write the laws, I just try to conform to them.
If a child were to innocently walk and or fall on those spikes, whose fault would it be?
Even if you answer the child, as that is what you truly believe,
the person who put the spikes in place will be held responsible.
Perhaps the next time you see something you are unsure of,
you should research it.

wazzu said:

We've had neighbors sued when kids tried to climb through their pasture fences and got injured on the fence. We all know about cases of kids breaking into people's back yards and drowning in a pool, and the owners are held liable. The problem with doing anything that could do bodily harm is that your liability increases significantly if the trespasser is a child since they cannot recognize "hazardous conditions" like an adult can.

We have a neighbor that got tired of deer hunters using ATVs on his property (after being told not to) so he put out a piece of plywood full of nails sticking up. Well, he had given us permission to ride our horses on that property but neglected to tell us about that piece of plywood. Thank goodness we saw the board before any horses stepped on it (or worse yet, before a rider fell off onto it). This guy had given the neighborhood kids permission to ride bikes out there too. I'm just glad none of them were hurt. I called him and asked about the board and mentioned the kids -- he had "forgotten" about the bike and horseback riders! I'm just glad no one was hurt. That could have been a serious legal problem for him had something happened.

http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=87

booby trap

n. a device set up to be triggered to harm or kill anyone entering the trap, such as a shotgun which will go off if a room is entered, or dynamite which will explode if the ignition key on an auto is turned. If a person sets up such a trap to protect his/her property, he/she will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar. Setting a booby trap to even protect one's property is a crime.

I know we are not supposed to give legal advice, but this seems more to be an issue of common sense or lack thereof.
Cameras are cheap.

Agreed 100%. Same reason if I catch someone on my land they are getting a gun barrel stuffed into their chest. Can ask Jemimah's Witnesses about that... showed up late at night to preach their b/s... couldn't read the NO SOLICITATIONS sign I guess.

wazzu said:
Dune said:

I put out my trail camera three days ago to see how many hunters were going to scout my posted property. Two so far.

I really like the idea of setting up some sort of sprinkler to cover them in red dye!

redhorse said:
wazzu said:

We've had neighbors sued when kids tried to climb through their pasture fences and got injured on the fence. We all know about cases of kids breaking into people's back yards and drowning in a pool, and the owners are held liable. The problem with doing anything that could do bodily harm is that your liability increases significantly if the trespasser is a child since they cannot recognize "hazardous conditions" like an adult can.

We have a neighbor that got tired of deer hunters using ATVs on his property (after being told not to) so he put out a piece of plywood full of nails sticking up. Well, he had given us permission to ride our horses on that property but neglected to tell us about that piece of plywood. Thank goodness we saw the board before any horses stepped on it (or worse yet, before a rider fell off onto it). This guy had given the neighborhood kids permission to ride bikes out there too. I'm just glad none of them were hurt. I called him and asked about the board and mentioned the kids -- he had "forgotten" about the bike and horseback riders! I'm just glad no one was hurt. That could have been a serious legal problem for him had something happened.

Thats whats wrong with the world, I have to protect those who don't belong on my property from harm, BS!

Dune said:
http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=87

booby trap

n. a device set up to be triggered to harm or kill anyone entering the trap, such as a shotgun which will go off if a room is entered, or dynamite which will explode if the ignition key on an auto is turned. If a person sets up such a trap to protect his/her property, he/she will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar. Setting a booby trap to even protect one's property is a crime.

I know we are not supposed to give legal advice, but this seems more to be an issue of common sense or lack thereof.
Cameras are cheap.

I like this advice. Legal advice prior to a legal problem is simply advice. Advice after a legal problem has arisen is legal advice and a no no.

Status
Not open for further replies.