Stone Veneer Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I can appreciate the sinking feeling this must have given you, but it may not be much of an issue. If you want to be extra careful, those stones over the pipe could be removed and then replacement stoves with no backing put in place. That said, it seems like there would be little chance of a problem. The plastic in the mesh is just a coating. It is encapsulated in mortar and completely surrounded by non-combustibles so the likelihood of this becoming a problem seems very low. That's my 2 cents, though I am not a mason so this is just an opinion. I'm sure others will chime in with theirs.

Reactions: Jeffm1
We pretty regularly use real stone that is cut to be a veneer it is no heavier than the cement stuff and looks allot better. Yes it takes a little more artistic ability to set it but it is not much harder at all and you have the benefit of being able to cut it and not see raw concrete edges

The exposed cut edges do bother me. I have used the Corning product called Borrel l believe. Very easy to work with and looks very good otherwise. Used it on my rooftop faux chimney (chase) and the hearth wall behind my Jotul 3. The chimney chase came out wonderfully. They make the corner pieces so you don’t have any raw concrete exposed.

I can appreciate the sinking feeling this must have given you, but it may not be much of an issue. If you want to be extra careful, those stones over the pipe could be removed and then replacement stoves with no backing put in place. That said, it seems like there would be little chance of a problem. The plastic in the mesh is just a coating. It is encapsulated in mortar and completely surrounded by non-combustibles so the likelihood of this becoming a problem seems very low. That's my 2 cents, though I am not a mason so this is just an opinion. I'm sure others will chime in with theirs.

be green - thank you for replying.

It occurred to us that we could call Woodstock Wood Stoves where we purchased our stove. They have been great to work with and have provided much information and encouragement. They said that they know that the stacked stone with mesh is a popular method and they have not heard of anyone having any problems when leaving the mesh in. So that made us feel less worried.

Although as a risk adverse person, I would have chosen to remove it, if given the chance. It really made me wish we had installed the tiles ourselves. But I think we are going to go ahead with the installation tomorrow and check in with our chimney company on Monday. We can do some more tests and monitor it closely before any heavy use.

be green - thank you for replying.

It occurred to us that we could call Woodstock Wood Stoves where we purchased our stove. They have been great to work with and have provided much information and encouragement. They said that they know that the stacked stone with mesh is a popular method and they have not heard of anyone having any problems when leaving the mesh in. So that made us feel less worried.

Although as a risk adverse person, I would have chosen to remove it, if given the chance. It really made me wish we had installed the tiles ourselves. But I think we are going to go ahead with the installation tomorrow and check in with our chimney company on Monday. We can do some more tests and monitor it closely before any heavy use.

I set a lot of tile and stone in my line of work and I dont think I'd be too worried about it either.

I own a large hardscape/landscaping business specializing in rock,stone, masonry type work. We do everything Landscape related but the majority of our projects are masonry.

This was my house and used Selkirk Stone brand fake stone. It’s essentially concrete. Not my first choice but it was left over from a project because I have to buy it in big boxes so if figured what the heck and just used it at my place. The plastic spacers that your masons used are standard practice. I would not get real excited about it. I do not use them just out of preference but if someone wanted me to for some strange reason I would not be concerned at all. . 1FCDBDBA-A123-4197-B462-100FD1CF88D8.jpeg

And I am in the process of wrapping low voltage LED lighting under the wood and on top of the wood so I can have a nice colored glow that I can turn on the the bottom or the top and change colors of the lighting.