1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stone Veneer Hearth

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by DKranger22, Feb 2, 2013.

1. DKranger22

DKranger22 New Member

Im about to pull the trigger on a wood burning insert for my masonary fireplace. While I'm going broke, I'm contemplating a facelift to the dated brick facade with a rustic stone veneer. Has anyone done this themselves or through a contractor, and if you don't mind me asking, what was the damage (cost) per square foot? I'd like to see pictures to get some more ideas. I'm Attaching a pic of my hearth as is. This would require about 60 Sq Ft of material.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your insight and ideas!

--Andrew

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Scotty O should be able to give you some current pricing on a stone facade.
  3. DKranger22

DKranger22 New Member

So I attended the Cleveland home and garden show over the weekend. I spoke with a handful of vendors who provided general "ballpark" numbers that are very much dependant upon the type of stone chosen. The cheapest being about $5/SQ FT to about $10/ SQ FT for the higher-end materials. They said to tack on another $10/ SQ FT if I wanted them to do the install. Does this seem to be in the ballpark?

Also, from what I've read online, most people say that I need the metal lath before doing the skim coat. However, both contractors that I spoke with said that I wouldn't need this for my application. This has me a little confused!