Stone Veneer Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKranger22

Dec 23, 2012
Im about to pull the trigger on a wood burning insert for my masonary fireplace. While I'm going broke, I'm contemplating a facelift to the dated brick facade with a rustic stone veneer. Has anyone done this themselves or through a contractor, and if you don't mind me asking, what was the damage (cost) per square foot? I'd like to see pictures to get some more ideas. I'm Attaching a pic of my hearth as is. This would require about 60 Sq Ft of material.

IMAG2095_zps4ef4d5f5.jpg

Thanks for your insight and ideas!

--Andrew

Scotty O should be able to give you some current pricing on a stone facade.

So I attended the Cleveland home and garden show over the weekend. I spoke with a handful of vendors who provided general "ballpark" numbers that are very much dependant upon the type of stone chosen. The cheapest being about $5/SQ FT to about $10/ SQ FT for the higher-end materials. They said to tack on another $10/ SQ FT if I wanted them to do the install. Does this seem to be in the ballpark?

Also, from what I've read online, most people say that I need the metal lath before doing the skim coat. However, both contractors that I spoke with said that I wouldn't need this for my application. This has me a little confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.