1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stone Veneer

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by wjlundyjr, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wjlundyjr

wjlundyjr New Member

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Do you have to apply metal lathe over Durrock when putting up cultured stone?

Does durock count as a masonary surface.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    John,
    I have 4 pallets of Cultured stone out in my driveway for install inside the house here.
    Durock is considered cement board. Cultured stone specs call for metal lath over the durock.
    So if you don't need the durock, don't waste the extra time & money.
  3. wjlundyjr

wjlundyjr New Member

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Thanks Hogwildz, I already have the Durock up as my "noncumbust" wall. So lathe it is, the papers I read from Durock said it wasnt required, but its always better to go with the manufactures specs.

Thanks again.

My stone gets here tommorow. :)
  4. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    After lathe is on, you have to scratch coat it. Completely cover it with the mortar then use a scrap pc of lathe to scratch the surface. This gives the mortar you will butter the back of the stones with something to grab good to.
    Let the scratch coat dry, then go to town. I just shelled out $2,400.00 for 4 pallets.
    You can download the installation directions off the Owens Corning cultured stone site. Read then a couple times and you will get a good idea before hand of what you need and how your going to apply them.
    Anything but drystack ledgestone, they suggest going from top down to help keep stones clean. Good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.