Stone work done - power cord question - Clydesdale being installed next week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeRJGR

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Well after a very long process of choosing stone, mantel, etc. The stone work is done...check out the before and after shots. We are very happy with the way it came out. We put a 20 inch hearth extension on just to be within code.

I do wonder about one thing. If you'll notice on the left side of the hearth extension there is a little cord tsicking out. Its actually some inulation. We left some motor out of that joint so we could lay the power cord in that area and hide it. However, and I know people frown on this....really what would be so bad about running an extension cord down the ash dump? The Clydesdale is approved for installation in a zero clearance fireplace, so I assume that if you were to run the cord on the side between the unit and the masonary brick it would not get that hot...am I way off base here? I had a condo that had an electric box behind the fireplace and power a set of blowers...

However, I am wondering if that is even possible with the Clydesdale...it seems like the cord come outs of the gap between the unit and the blowers in the front. That would be mean that you would have to run it under the unit or back between the unit and the sorround, which would like sort of bad anyway...

Thoughts please...and as always thanks for your help...I would not have been this far along without you guys...

Attachments

• March 2011 002.jpg
    March 2011 002.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 806
  • March 2011 005.jpg
    March 2011 005.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 832
I really like the stone job that will be main center piece to the room, did you do the stones yourself? I did dry stack rocks on a raised hearth and all the way up the wall for my fireview. Glad i took the time and done the rocks everybody loves them

JoeRJGR said:
Well after a very long process of choosing stone, mantel, etc. The stone work is done...check out the before and after shots. We are very happy with the way it came out. We put a 20 inch hearth extension on just to be within code.

I do wonder about one thing. If you'll notice on the left side of the hearth extension there is a little cord tsicking out. Its actually some inulation. We left some motor out of that joint so we could lay the power cord in that area and hide it. However, and I know people frown on this....really what would be so bad about running an extension cord down the ash dump? The Clydesdale is approved for installation in a zero clearance fireplace, so I assume that if you were to run the cord on the side between the unit and the masonary brick it would not get that hot...am I way off base here? I had a condo that had an electric box behind the fireplace and power a set of blowers...

However, I am wondering if that is even possible with the Clydesdale...it seems like the cord come outs of the gap between the unit and the blowers in the front. That would be mean that you would have to run it under the unit or back between the unit and the sorround, which would like sort of bad anyway...

Thoughts please...and as always thanks for your help...I would not have been this far along without you guys...

Hi Joe:

Excellent job with the stonework. That Clydesdale is going to shine.

You have done an excellent job up to this point and the electrical service to power your Clydesdale fan should be equal to the task.

The heat generated by the insert immediately below the insert and at its ground level left and right of the stove is surprising small. So locating the electrical cord is not so much a heat issue, although that's important, as it is a National Electrical Code issue. The Code concerns the ability to disconnect the appliance from electrical service, and protecting the cord from damage, and about running appliance power cords through chases. With all the work that you have done so far, and considering the expense of your Clydesdale, I thinks it's time to consult your Building Inspector, or a licensed electrician. I realize that you don't always get "good" answers from these folks, but it's worth a try to get an answer from someone who makes a living solving electrical problems. They can be a big help.

I installed a surface "Wiremold" raceway terminating in a surface outlet using a nearby source outlet. I can't hardly see any of this work when I have my wood storage unit in place. There are probably many solutions in getting electrical service to your stove, and hiding the cord, etc., but if it were me, I would contact a friendly electrician and get a professional opinion. By the way It's easy to switch the Clydesdale power cord from left to right.

See the attached pict. The little white box in the lower right hand side of the stove is the surface outlet. It's pretty unobtrusive.

Attachments

• Clydesdale.jpg
    Clydesdale.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 837
Volemister,

Thanks for the advice...I know using any type of outlet in an other room is a code no-no...I probably should have had an outlet put in the firebox before I did the stone work...I just saw such mixed reviews on doing anything electrical in the box on this forum I decided not to, I remember reading that a dealer would no longet run electric into the firebox for wood stoves because he could get a straight answer on if it was to code even from various electricians ...but after a saw how nice everything game out I sort of had a change of heart not wanting to have the cord visible.

It will only be visible on the floor, because as I mentioned, I left a gap in the motor on the left side of the hearth extension, and I'll lay the cord in there..

When we installed the monty I ran an extension down the ash dump to a dedicated outlet in the cellar. The installer had no problem with it. Two years of burning and no problem.

Thanks Jim,

I believe the Monty actually has a spot for the cord to come out on the side of the unit, behind the surround...Not sure about the Clydesdale, I actually think it comes out in front of the surround, right behind the blower housing and the front of the unit, which are actually in front of the surround... I would actually have to run the cord back through the gap between the unit and the surround.

Volemister, can you confrim?

Thanks!

JoeRJGR said:
Thanks Jim,

I believe the Monty actually has a spot for the cord to come out on the side of the unit, behind the surround...Not sure about the Clydesdale, I actually think it comes out in front of the surround, right behind the blower housing and the front of the unit, which are actually in front of the surround... I would actually have to run the cord back through the gap between the unit and the surround.

Volemister, can you confrim?

Thanks!

Joe:

The power cord for the Clydesdale exits the stove to its' immediate right or left (it's reversible), just in front of the surround. It does not exit from the front, or in front of the stove. In fact, you can push the power cord (black wire) up against the blue/black surround and you don't notice it's there.

Thanks Volemister,

We are actually getting the brown enamal finish...I think I should be able to snake it through the gap in the hearth extension...then you just see an extension cord on the floor which can I cover up by paiting it gray to match the mortor...

Looking good! Cheers!

joerjgr

I would aviod painting or covering the wire with mortor both of these can deteriorate the wire insulation, i would suggeest coming through the floor with an outlet there is no minimum height so keep it low next to the extension (remember the cover will be slightly larger then the box ) surface mount box, some code issues you may have with running down the ash dump might be means of disconnect should be within sight of appliance, also if the linear footage along this wall to the nearsest recaepticle is greater then 12 feet it would be a problem under new construction codes so one would be required on that wall. Great looking job i can see why you want it to look good

Joe, you are correct the cord does come out the side behind the surround. ;-)

So guess what guys, the township has no issue with me putting a an outlet in the actual fireplace as long as I can get to it when I remove the surround. They are also OK with running a metal braided line down through the ash dump.

Of course my concern is that the heat is too much for the plug and wire coming from the Clydesdale, but I have been told it doesnt get too hot on the sides, ..anyone know the answer to that?

Also, since the plug on the Clydesdale actually comes out in front of surround, I would actually have to run it back from in front of the surround to behind the surround. I dont think I should go under the insert, so now I could possiblly be left with a wire on my hearth extension after all this work. Anybody know if I can tuck the wire under the left side of the unit without it getting too hot?

I may just lay the box in the firebox and run the line down the ashdump but not connect it. When they put it it in, I see if I can make it work...if not, I'll pull it out...

I should try an make my life less complicated...

Thanks for everyones help and the comments on the stone..wife is very happy with that...they are natural stone veneers.....

JoeRJGR said:
So guess what guys, the township has no issue with me putting a an outlet in the actual fireplace as long as I can get to it when I remove the surround. They are also OK with running a metal braided line down through the ash dump.

Of course my concern is that the heat is too much for the plug and wire coming from the Clydesdale, but I have been told it doesnt get too hot on the sides, ..anyone know the answer to that?

Also, since the plug on the Clydesdale actually comes out in front of surround, I would actually have to run it back from in front of the surround to behind the surround. I dont think I should go under the insert, so now I could possiblly be left with a wire on my hearth extension after all this work. Anybody know if I can tuck the wire under the left side of the unit without it getting too hot?

I may just lay the box in the firebox and run the line down the ashdump but not connect it. When they put it it in, I see if I can make it work...if not, I'll pull it out...

I should try an make my life less complicated...

Thanks for everyones help and the comments on the stone..wife is very happy with that...they are natural stone veneers.....

Joe: It all depends on how much time, effort and money a guy is willing to spend...

It would be possible, for example, to install a recessed outlet right behind the bottom (base) of the surround, shorten the cord on the Clydesdale, plug the cord into your newly installed recessed outlet, then place the Clydesdale surround back in place. That way nothing is visible.

You would have to cut out one of your stones, deepen the opening so that you could place an outlet box in that opening, run your service to that opening from behind (that would be the tricky part), install the outlet box, secure the box in place, then plug in the cord.

The surround will get warm to the touch - not hot - when the stove is operating. The lower you go on the surround, the cooler it gets. Immediately below the insert, the floor is cool to the touch. I can put my hand under the ash pan/blower assembly when the stove is operating and it's cool. Amazing huh? That's because air is moving into the space under the stove, and then circulating out at the top as warm air. I haven't measured the temperature at the sides of the stove, because the surround is blocking access. I think that if you keep the wiring at ground level, and toward the front of the stove, you are going to be OK. I can't say how hot it gets towards the rear of the stove, but probably hotter than the front.

Good luck Joe.

Volemister,

Thanks for the reply, that pretty much answers my question...if its cool in the front, I should be able to run the cord under the front corner of it and plug it in behind the sorround. I plan on putting the junction box either on the floor of the fireplace or on the wall right behind the surround......

I really appreciatte all your assitance...you have been great!

JoeRJGR said:
Volemister,

Thanks for the reply, that pretty much answers my question...if its cool in the front, I should be able to run the cord under the front corner of it and plug it in behind the sorround. I plan on putting the junction box either on the floor of the fireplace or on the wall right behind the surround......

I really appreciatte all your assitance...you have been great!

Wow. I am super impressed by your install. Makes me think I can do my own too since I am looking at the Clydesdale. :)

Do you have any pictures of how you did the final wiring? I am thinking that i want to wire a box into the fireplace so I don't have the chord hanging out but I am not sure exactly how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.