Stonework Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stovequest

Apr 26, 2021
USA
Below are images of my chimney. I'm guessing this is the original stonework when the previous owner had the house built 33 yrs ago. I am seeing some cracks starting to form where the condensation runs down the chimney in the dead of winter. I noticed this last winter there was a decent amount of ice built up on the backside of the chimney. The Wood stove is a 1980:s blaze King. Should I just get some type of topcoat mortar to fill in the cracks to keep the water/freezing cycling from going farther into the stone work?

PXL_20211030_193330454.jpg

PXL_20211030_193430738.jpg
PXL_20211030_193503466.jpg

Below are images of my chimney. I'm guessing this is the original stonework when the previous owner had the house built 33 yrs ago. I am seeing some cracks starting to form where the condensation runs down the chimney in the dead of winter. I noticed this last winter there was a decent amount of ice built up on the backside of the chimney. The Wood stove is a 1980:s blaze King. Should I just get some type of topcoat mortar to fill in the cracks to keep the water/freezing cycling from going farther into the stone work?

View attachment 284818

View attachment 284820 View attachment 284819
Just a top coat won't do anything you need to remove the old mortar and replace it.