Stop the beetle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the loggers don't seem to be to busy. Better get them in the woods before they start hatching. Or at least have a plan to do something in the fall when they become dormant again.

Pellet burners need cheap pellets. Wood burners need free wood and They can send the rest to the power plants or make pellets for over sea's. Sell some to help local economy even!

Stopping the wood from moving may contain it a little. But the beetles are mobile when they hatch. They will move farther if they can fly!

jay

That's true- once the tree is dead and dry, they move on...............

ilikewood said:
Herbster, Where are you at in Central mass? That tree looks like the 50 or so that dropped in my yard during the ice Storm.....I'm in Westminster.

Your neighbor to the south, Princeton!

Yup, we both got it pretty bad. My sugarbush is so damaged that I didn't even tap this year. Will have to drop half the remainder of the red maples that didn't come down already, because they have no crowns left. We can't even get equipment in there right now...looking for a friend with an excavator.

herb

jtakeman said:
Well the loggers don't seem to be to busy. Better get them in the woods before they start hatching. Or at least have a plan to do something in the fall when they become dormant again.

Pellet burners need cheap pellets. Wood burners need free wood and They can send the rest to the power plants or make pellets for over sea's. Sell some to help local economy even!

Stopping the wood from moving may contain it a little. But the beetles are mobile when they hatch. They will move farther if they can fly!

jay

They (the USDA) is saying that they don't fly far, usually only from tree to tree. They figure the zone is expanding 1-3 miles per year, and they have included all susceptible trees up to 1.5 miles from the furthest infested tree. They have moved the boundary outwards twice. All trees found to be infested are being felled and ground up, not just chipped, in USDA-certified chipper-grinders. The chipping plant is on the grounds of the plant where the beetles first came in from China in a pallet wood. They will probably cut down most of the street trees in Worcester, as they are mostly maple.

I do not see why nonsusceptible trees like oak are being prohibited from movement, as the beetle does not touch 'em.

herbert

Status
Not open for further replies.