STOP THE DRAFT (AIR DRAFTS THAT IS)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forvols

Dec 6, 2007
NORTHEAST TN
I live in a log home. Had new windows put in last year, still got drafts. But the drafts are from where the logs ends are cut for the windows the acutal windows are doing great. Absolutely not as drafty as before the window install. The cold weather is definitely helping find these drafts. Not large ones but when you have a bunch of small ones that adds up to heat loss. Seems like every window opening has seepage to some degree. Guess I will be a caulking fool the next few days. Log homes are nice but holy cow, just a rant I love living up in the woods. Only wished I would have gotten the wood stove installed in the great room in the fall. Got the NC-30 in the basement doing a fine job. Burn safe

Tony

Hey Tony, not only caulk now but make it a habit to check it every fall. That is really bad that the builder left it that way. Any chance he would provide a fix?

Dennis,

The house was built in 1996, cedar log home. The windows are sealed good to wood framing, I made sure of that during install. But the side of the framing thats butts to the log ends is where I now have the issue(s). Going to have to remove the interior 4x1 casing to fix it properly. No big deal just pop em off seal put back up with some new finishing nails. When the weather gets better warmer I will do the same on the outside. Yep I know should done it when the summer was blazing.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.