Stop the presses! This is a disaster!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
As I was walking toward the house today I looked at one of the wood piles. I could hardly believe this! Wasn't if just a couple days ago I stated that I've never had a woodpile tip over?! Then to find this I was just stopped in my tracks.

Badpile-2.gif

Badpile-1.gif

I will be curious when that wood gets moved as to why this happened. My wife did tell me she saw a woodchuck there a few days ago but that would not seem to cause such a thing as this. For sure I'll move it into the barn before restacking it but I'm really curious as to what caused it. Maybe Jake or zap has been here when I didn't know it?....

I confess. I am currently down in Michigan to see the Notre Dame game vs Michigan that it tonight.
I ran over to your place, knocked your wood over and took off.
;)

I guess it happens to the best of them eh?

Andrew

Backwoods Savage said:
As I was walking toward the house today I looked at one of the wood piles. I could hardly believe this! Wasn't if just a couple days ago I stated that I've never had a woodpile tip over?! Then to find this I was just stopped in my tracks.

Badpile-2.jpg

Badpile-1.jpg

I will be curious when that wood gets moved as to why this happened. My wife did tell me she saw a woodchuck there a few days ago but that would not seem to cause such a thing as this. For sure I'll move it into the barn before restacking it but I'm really curious as to what caused it. Maybe Jake or zap has been here when I didn't know it?....

Ugly T-Post comment got you. Good job Jake! :zip:

zap

Maybe the logs under them sunk. Did you get a lot of rain?

Hmmmm... Wee bit early for frost heave I'd reckon...Probably some angry raccoon or opossum doing gymnastics again.I get that here even in town.

must be those Damn Woodchucks chucking wood again..................................................

Well, Andrew is in Ann Arbor so no doubt he didn't pass this way. No tornado here, I don't think. But there was one not far from us and we did get a lot of wind but I still doubt that did it. I have one stack in back that is a bit wobbly and it seems that would have tipped over first.

Zap is trying to pass this off onto Jake. I'm not sure about this one.

Archie is right but I wasn't ready for our record to be broken just yet.

mhrischuk could be right but not much rain here. But the logs do sometimes sink into our sand quite a bit. That one is suspect.

Thistle, you might be right. It did get a bit chilly a few days ago.

Coulda been too much weight from the TIN roof on the stack, too...................................

Must have been built on top of a fault line that broke free! Nothing you could have done backwoods. The fact that the others are still standing is testament to how well built those are!

pen

PapaDave said:
Well, that ain't right.
Full moon last night. Must have been a weird gravitational pull or something. :lol:

Nope, his wood is to dry to have much moisture in it that could be affected by the moon. ;-)

I'll be over with a large truck to remove said pile and complete a thorough investigation. I will write a full report come March. We can't let this happen again. Is that the 7 year old stuff? :roll:

Horizontally split wood is known to hold up in stacks much better than vertically split...

Well Dennis I think it might be time for this. :lol:

Attachments

• T-Post.jpg
    T-Post.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 715
Be right over with the trailer to clean that unsightly mess up for ya Dennis. :cheese: I've had woodchucks burrow under my piles from time to time, so I suppose that's possible. I do love the little critters for target practice though. A C

So dry it started to lift up and float away..........................

Yep...thats a damn shame. Wood is jinxed now...gonna have to get rid of it. Hold on and I will give you an address for you to ship it... :)

rdust said:
Well Dennis I think it might be time for this. :lol:

I was thinking about using those until I saw that they are almost $5 a piece! I bought some rugged 2x2" oak stakes for $2 a piece instead.

+1 I'd vote earthquake. We had a pile go over as well. 5 second rule applies this time so the wood is still ok.

Did you get it restacked yet lol

Has the national guard been deployed yet?

Gary_602z said:
Either earthquake or Thistles old neighbors moved into your neighborhood and pulled some out of the center of the stack. :)

Gary

haha it wasnt them cause his wood is still there & not smoldering in a nearby firepit.

Status
Not open for further replies.