Stop the presses! This is a disaster!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the woodchucks were playing jenga.

Backwoods Savage said:
As I was walking toward the house today I looked at one of the wood piles. I could hardly believe this! Wasn't if just a couple days ago I stated that I've never had a woodpile tip over?! Then to find this I was just stopped in my tracks.
When you said that, you shoulda' knocked on wood!

I ain't mak'n no bad or snide comments, like age or eye sight issues.
Dennis , it took a real man to post that pic after some of the remarks.
I hope the stress has passed, & as of this post, you are relaxed & in good health.
A tough blow for all of us here. To happen to "The Master", means it could happen to any of us.
:lol:

OMG! Dennis...is...is...HUMAN! :ahhh:

And here it was just a few weeks ago that I admitted that I had a stack finally fall over after all these years. And take out the four cord behind it.

It is "Chinese Old Farts Wood Stacks Finally Fall Over New Years". :coolsmirk: The Year of the Thud.

rdust said:
Well Dennis I think it might be time for this. :lol:

rdust how dare you! I will remain in denial and pray that this thread soon falls into the abyss. I do not believe this actually happened. As far as I'm concerned that picture was posted by one of the new guys, and Dennis just gave him some sound advice of how to stack it without using anything but brawn, brains, and 100 years of woodburning experience. Cribbing I believe is the proper term.

I reckon there must have been a mini earthquake in Michigan....... ;-)

Dennis, that looks like a two-row blowout, and the third row look shaky now. Crib leaning one way, stack leaning the other. But I've learned to take appearances in pics with a grain of salt...camera angle can distort the reality.
Look for termite damage to the bottom splits. ;-)

I've been stacking on half-width pallets so far, but I've had to straighten a couple stacks that were bowing out in spots. Luckily, everything is single-row so I can get at both sides. But I don't trust these pallets now. I have some half-width concrete block, which I will lay on their sides. I don't think they'll be subject to any settling to speak of. And today I got about twenty 7 ft. half-round fence posts that my ex-farmer buddy had left over from old pasture fence, and was going to pitch because they had some rot in spots. I figure I've got enough posts to stack three cord or so, with blocks left over. I'll be looking to pick up some salvaged landscape timbers or the like. I think I'm gonna like this system. Should be plenty stable, and lots of air underneath the stacks.

BrotherBart said:
I had a stack finally fall ove after all these years. And take out the four cord behind it.
That thought occured to me. I think Dennis had several pallet rows together; What if the blowout had started at one end and proceeded, domino-style. :eek:hh:
Bart, I seem to remember you saying that you had a stack fall, but don't recall that it took out four cords. Did you post any pics? I don't rubber-neck at an auto wreck, but I think seeing pics of four cords on the ground would be...sobering. :)

It is "Chinese Old Farts Wood Stacks Finally Fall Over New Years". :coolsmirk: The Year of the Thud.
I doubt that Dennis' wood thuds...probably sounds more like a strike at the bowling alley. :)

Backwoods Savage said:
As I was walking toward the house today I looked at one of the wood piles. I could hardly believe this! Wasn't if just a couple days ago I stated that I've never had a woodpile tip over?! Then to find this I was just stopped in my tracks.

Badpile-2.jpg

Badpile-1.jpg

I will be curious when that wood gets moved as to why this happened. My wife did tell me she saw a woodchuck there a few days ago but that would not seem to cause such a thing as this. For sure I'll move it into the barn before restacking it but I'm really curious as to what caused it. Maybe Jake or zap has been here when I didn't know it?....

QUICK ! get a tarp on it !!!!

Ok that does it I am taking that statue of Dennis off my altar!!! He has been reduced to mere mortal status!!!

:ahhh:

Ray

Hey fellas, when I first saw that the thing had tipped over I just stood still for a minute. Then I started to laugh and immediately knew I just had to take a picture of it to post on hearth.com. I laughed all the way to the house and my wife thought I was losing it for sure.

I thank one and all for the comments and the fact that I got even more laughs out of this. However, I'll still leave the t-posts to others and stack the old fashioned way again. When I get around to moving that wood it will go straight into the barn. Maybe I'll do it soon in case we get a wet period and I have the space ready for stacking there too.

btw, probably everyone on hearth.com has seen this picture but I wanted to post it to show which stack fell. Looking at the picture, it is the second stack and on the far end. I also admit that I did get a bit sloppy on that stack as the very end did have a slight tilt to it. My wife pointed it out to me several times but I just told her it would hold. Well, chaulk one up for the ornery one....

Wood-2009c.jpg

Soooooo, Mrs. Savage is right again..............................

Dennis, you disagreed with a redhead??!!!?? You should have known better! She's probably been kicking it every time she's walked past it. Can't say as I blame her. Let this be a lesson to you...

ewdudley said:
The Leaning Tower of Maple. Now what?

I'd be taking the loader bucket and puttin the edge about where those stabilizer boards are and givin her a slight bunt inward. That generally solves the issue in my shed.

Clearly a case of telekinesis gone awry. Of course I was hundreds of miles away at the time. :p

(I don my uber cool ray ban sunglasses and ... ) Ok Dennis, I need you to look at this wand thingy here in my hand ok? Bright Flash! Ok so what happened here was a figment of your imagination, you simply confused a bad dream with reality.....

Thank you, Dennis. You have made my day.

I just had a couple stacks fall over too but I know the cause. Seems I didn't design them to withstand a 60', 24" diameter branch falling on them.

Maybe we did have an earthquake?!!! Now about that redhead..... Ya can't win.

nah! he ain't human...not yet, anyway! he still has to ride a normal bicycle and split wood horizontally...THEN we'll see about changing his status!

After careful thought and consideration, I've concluded that this stack toppled because it is too dry. Hose it down and it should restack itself overnight. Let this be a lesson, kids, to the risk of being 17 years ahead on your wood supply.

Could this be a sign that the end of the world is near? lol I've been pushing on some of my leaning stacks lately. It's been pretty dry around here the last month or so, the wood is shrinking and settling fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.