Stopping Condensation on Inside of Corrugated Fiberglass Shed Roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oday450

Sep 22, 2015
Maryland/Virginia
i have recently purchased a weekend and future retirement house on a mountain in Northern Virginia. Last weekend, I had a new Harman P61a installed in the finished walkout basement and stacked two tons of pellets in an attached woodshed just outside the walkout door. When it rained all day Saturday, the ceiling of the shed was covered in condensate and the floor on the low roof height side of the building was very damp. Thankfully, the pellets are all stored on the opposite side of the room and now covered with tarps.

Is there an insulation or rubber roofing or both that will help alleviate this issue? The roof panels are just below an overhead deck so anything of any thickness to be added must be applied from the inside.

That is condensation due to the warm air inside and cool wet surface on the outside. If it was me, I'd get some 1/2 foam board and put that on the ceiling.

Congrats on the new purchase. Having a place in the country to get away is just awesome.

Thanks. I understood the cause but am unsure of the best insulation for the virus attend panels. Flat insulation panels will leave air gaps (often a positive) but will probably cause condensate to drip on the insulation with difficulties in drainage. A corrugated foam insulation would be good but I haven't seen such an item. Maybe foil wrapped bubble yhe insulation?

Hmmm. If the flat panels are sealed at the ends (say, with expanding foam, maybe?), the warmer air won't be able to contact the fiberglass panels, so there shouldn't be any condensation. I think!

As for the bubble wrap, you'd need to apply it with a spray adhesive for it to work. You might want to try a test section using rubber cement to see how well it works. That way, if it's a failiure, you can easily peel it off.

Northern Virginia? My neck of the woods. Whereabouts? Shenandoah Valley?

Thanks Blue, that's about what I had decided to try. Next time I'm there with a pickup, I will check with the big box stores and gather up some materials and experiment. I may later cover the foam board with Reflectex to make it a lot lighter inside the large space. Cost would be a minimum and it would provide additional insulation.

And yes, I'm in the Valley in the Millwood area not far from the the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.