storage for an OWB ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 330 gallons on my P and M there is really no advantage to having it, it was already there so why not hook it up.

I would think it would allow the OWB to burn all out, hot and fast, is this should be the most efficient way to burn. So, it should have A LOT less smoke, and presumably be more efficient. If course, you have to do your storage well, insulated, piping, etc. so you don't lose all the heat....but given that, and it usually works quite well, I'd think you'd see MUCH less smoke.

All the smoke, I understand, is from the idling and coming out of idling. So if you don't idle....I'd think you'd be in good shape.

Now, depending on your storage size and heat load, you may find yourself having to start a new fire in the OWB each time you fire up. That is customary for a lot of us with gasifiers and storage.

Another good thing is, with some planning, if you upgrade to a gasser someday, you'll have the storage already to roll! That'd make the upgrade a much simplier dance to do!

In your location I wouldn't think you would have to worry about the boiler freezing so storage would be a nice option
without having to use glycol. The storage should help a little with wood consumption, Less smoke and
make your systym more convienient. Depending on your heat demand and amount of storage you could probably do a fire
every 2 or 3 days.

Our weather here is so unpredictable. This year is worse than normal. I don want a thousand gallon tank. Thinking more along the lines of a large water heater of a small propane tank. How would I get the hot water into the starage tank ?

I dont Know much about open systems as far as plumbing. I think you would want a mimimum of 400 gallon to make it worth
your time. More would be better in my opinion. A 80 gal. water heater tank just won't do much for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.