Storage for conventional indoor wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
What advantages would hot water storage have with a conventional indoor wood boiler? (as opposed to a gasifier). Would it make the conventional wood boiler any more efficient in terms of how much wood they go through?

It's a really good question. I can make an argument that it might have even more of an impact on efficiency that it does with a gasifier, depending on how the boiler is operated before and after adding storage. However, I'm not aware of any data at all.

In my case with a gasifier, the biggest advantage of adding storage was comfort and convenience, not increased efficiency. I can build fires when it's convenient for me and the house temperature stays constant regardless. This time of year, I can skip days.

I am adding 520 gallons of non pressurized to a conventional Tarm. I am guessing that the real advantage will come in the shoulder seasons, like now, for DHW and the occasional heat to the house. There will be much less idling and that is a good thing. I am also hoping to pull off a summer burn or two. More energy with less oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.