Storage for just DHW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticfalcon

May 9, 2008
Northern VT
Has anyone ever setup a couple hot water tanks for storage of just DHW? I currently have an indirect and I was thinking about putting a couple storage only tanks inline with it and maybe just putting my recurc line back to the 1st one and letting the indirect heat the whole lot of them and then in the summer burning just to keep the DHW Hot. dont have a lot of space in my furnace room but I could probably fit a couple 120gal tanks in there.

It's a good idea. I'm setting a friend up that way for solar hot water - there will be two tanks in series, with the second being his indirect tank. His solar panel will circulate water backwards through both tanks, drawing from the inlet of the first (passive) tank, and returning hot water to the outlet of the second (indirect) tank.

The insulation on DHW tanks is pitiful - most lose a degree per hour or more. You might want to frame them into an enclosure and fill it with insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.