storage have to be round??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
A big advantage of round is structural. When you have a round tank the walls experience primarily a tension force, which is easy to withstand for most wall materials (unenforced concrete being an exception). Rectangular tanks will experience bending forces which necessitate more of a structure. However, round tanks can waste more space since the corners are not used.

What about milk tanks? They can usually be acquired fairly reasonable used.... And they already have a (rudimentary) amount of insulation....

deerefanatic said:
What about milk tanks? They can usually be acquired fairly reasonable used.... And they already have a (rudimentary) amount of insulation....
I think people have successfully used milk tanks. I can't remember for sure but I believe nofossil has one.

interesting- please keep us all posted on what you find on sources for and cost of these tanks, which look like they could be a _very_ nice solution for some of us

I have 1 already at a cost of ZERO!!! now the hunt is on for one more. My problem with round storage was the room needed for the tanks. Also these totes will stack if you have the room.

taxidermist- can you give the approximate dimensions of the one you've got? one of my challenges is needing to get storage container or containers down through a cellar bulkhead that's about 4 by 5.5 feet

I am going down this road as well. I found a guy locally that is selling pool side walls for $200. I figure a 24' round pool will yeild (3) 7 1/2 ft dia. units. That small they should be self supporting and with round you don't worry about the stress on a long side since the stress is evenly distributed.
He has both 48" and 52" high walls.

I don't need 3 units though. Any one else in the CT area looking at this? We can spilt the cost.

Still working on the liner, I've heard pleating the EPDM for a round tank is a pain.
Greg H

taxidermist said:
I am working at getting 2, 550 gal ss square mixing totes to use as storage.Does storage have to be round or am I ok with two box tanks?

tank link http://www.hawman.com/stainless-steel-tanks/s2200-st-os.php

Rob
I saw one of those go by my place a couple of days ago in a trailer. It looked very simular to a couple of aluminum ones that I have that I haven't decided what to do with yet. Stainless is about $1 a lb
leaddog

pybyr said:
taxidermist- can you give the approximate dimensions of the one you've got? one of my challenges is needing to get storage container or containers down through a cellar bulkhead that's about 4 by 5.5 feet
http://www.aaronequipment.com/UsedEquipment/Bins/Bins/40037548.html

The tote is at my Dads house not here so it would be a few days. Here is a 600gal with measurements.

I just got a quote back from a place in Chicago for a ss 550 tote and it was around $3000.00 used OUCH!!!!!

Rob

leaddog said:
taxidermist said:
I am working at getting 2, 550 gal ss square mixing totes to use as storage.Does storage have to be round or am I ok with two box tanks?

tank link http://www.hawman.com/stainless-steel-tanks/s2200-st-os.php

Rob
I saw one of those go by my place a couple of days ago in a trailer. It looked very simular to a couple of aluminum ones that I have that I haven't decided what to do with yet. Stainless is about $1 a lb
leaddog

Alum will work too let me know if they go up forsale.

Rob

Watch aluminum....... It can cause really weird corrosion issues when used in the presence of any other metals...... (Like copper for instance)....... Why do you think cars (which are closed, pressurized systems) need such powerful anti-corrosion chemicals in the anti-freeze? The aluminum radiators is why........

The aluminum radiators is why
If you ever see an aluminum radiator that was in a neglected cooling system you would realize the importance of proper chemical balance in system. Fin tubes clogged so bad engine overheats. Ouch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.