Storage -home made

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmudd

Jul 30, 2011
Central Missouri Ranch
I am in the process of making 1000 gallons of storage from two used propane tanks. . I added wheels ( 1000lb load cap /each )to the lower tank. The top tank will be joined to the lower tank by three 5" pipes located directly over the center of the tanks spread apart horizontally equally over the 10' length of the tanks.lower manifold holes. The tanks will be spaced apart 2 1/2" . that gives me enough room to weld in the 5". I then socket welded manifold for the cold return at the botton from three 1 1/2" ports that I cut in the tank. The three 1 1/2" top hot supply ports will be located at the top. all of the ports will be lined up with each other vertically. the boiler will be right next to this with a 1 1/4" supply coming from the loading valve. I will be fabricating saddles at each end to heldp support the tank so that all of the weight is not at the center 5" pipes. .
This whole idea evolved by trying to get storage in my outside boiler shed. The size limitations of the building prevented me from stacking two tanks separately
My plan is to wheel the unit @ 1900 lbs into the building. I can get this through my doorway via my slab out front. Once on the slab I will have a spray foam guy isulated the tanks. I thought I would pressure test the tanks to about 50lbs while still in the shop. Does any one see any issues on whay this arrangement wont work or stratification issues ?

Status
Not open for further replies.