STORAGE INSTALL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would defintely install boiler protection now, especially with that much storage - although don't think I read what you have for a boiler? Just heating it up from cold will likely create a large amount of condensation - and limiting your storage draw to 140 at bottom will limit your storage usefullness by a lot and give a bit of efficiency hit. I think 95% of the time I start a burn now, my storage is below 140°, more like 110-120°. But, if I was hung up on waiting for components to arrive (that sounds like the case), I also would likely not be able to avoid lighting my fire. Maybe just start with small ones.

i dont have a gasser right now. in order to get one i am going to have to prove to the wife this is worth it, lol. i was thinking i would go to protection eventually so once the body lands this week i will cut and thread the pipe for it and install when the t stat comes in around xmas. i want to get up and running asap.

limiting your storage draw to 140 at bottom will limit your storage usefullness by a lot and give a bit of efficiency hit

do you mean the boiler becomes ineffecient where return water is so cold? does the protection cut down on storage charge time?

I guess what I was getting at was the hotter you continually keep your storage, the more potential for more standy losses. That might work out to be not enough to worry about though. Plus generally speaking, the cooler the water you are heating, the more heat that it will pull out of the heater. But being able to regularly run your storage down to as low as it is useful to your heat distribution might get you long enough between burns that you won't have to burn quite as often (like skip a day more often). Protection likely doesn't cut down charge times - it might actually slow it some at least at first as some heat is diverted into keeping the entire boiler above 140° if return is less than that.

10-4 maple. i hope i can batch burn but do have baseboard in half of the house and not sure how that will respond to lower storage temps, time will tell.

Go with boiler protection. Batch burning, you will still have a large volume of water that cools off in the piping. the danfoss will mix it till you get everything back up to temp.

JP

Also still curious about your boiler. My parents have an older fire-tube boiler that I would not worry about adding storage to, it kicks out quite a bit of heat. My old one however likely would not have even had any extra heat to send to storage.

Dang, gotta get some work done - this place is way too addictive.

i have an nti wf200. i ran it without storage last year. i think it is up to the task and will most likely be easier on wood where i am not sending btu's up the chimney and not just circulating through my fossil boiler and wasting heat. basically had to crank t-stats while burning and adjust wood load to accomodate for demands. i had it plumbed in paralell with supply to return as well. the new plumbing should help it be even more efficient along with deleting the domestic coil in fossil boiler.

i got so carried away with the pumping away theory, i may have boned the chance of just putting the danfoss in place without moving the pump. pretty sure i know the answer and possibly would have worked if the pump was before the t but here is a pic anyhow for some insight.

Attachments

• danfoss.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.