1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Storage Placement?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by JMann, Sep 18, 2013.

1. JMann

JMann Member

Loc:
    Southern PA
    I am trying to figure out where the best place would be to place a storage unit. My boiler is in an non-insulated outbuilding approx 100ft (connected via pex/thermopex (when underground) from the house.
    Store in house or in the outbuilding?

Thinking that it may be best to insulate the outbuilding and store there?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I have mine in the outbuilding with the boiler. If your only going to burn in the winter the house would be the ideal place if you have room. that way any heat loss goes into the house.
  3. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I vote house.
  4. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    A also vote house. My gasser is in another building, storage in basement.
  5. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    you want your storage "losses" to be your house "gains"

put it in the house. vertical tanks if you are tight on floor space. If you scrounge long enough you can find the right size tanks.

JP
  6. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI

Thanks but no thanks for me. I heat my pool in the summer so that was the last thing I wanted in my basement when my ac is running. Now maybe I should have dual tank set up 2 for winter and valve the house one off for summer......

gg
  7. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Do you really need storage to heat a pool though?

Could you bypass storage when heating the pool & just burn a whole batch right to the pool?
  8. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification
    You would think 30k gallons of water would be enough storage. Heck, that is the new best idea! He needs a very good insulated cover for the pool in the winter. Then he can run 1 fire/season!

ac
  9. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI

I used it the first year without storage. With the small water jacket that most gasifiers have. I can tell you it is much easier to run with the large buffer provided with storage. Without storage you have to carefully manage the wood load. In the beginning or end of the burn when output is low the boiler will tend to cycle and the high load from the pool returns to the boiler.

My point really was. There is no blanket answer to what is best as many on this board will try to state. It really is depends on what the individual wants.

At some point I would like to add some storage in my basement. It would be a nice buffer near the Forced air exchanger and also for DHW. Remote storage is not ideal for DHW.

gg
  10. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    With the temperatures of a pool i wouldn't expect it to be very good storage. You don't want your pool to reach 120°+. Also, it'd get kinda hard to heat with temps that low.
  11. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification
    If his pool was closed for the winter it could be 180!

If you can't read into the fact that I am being sarcastic, I apologize.

ac