Storage tank leak or condensation ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlK

Nov 28, 2007
Pa
I bought a 500 gallon pressurized tank from new horizon it is a steel tank with about 4" of fiberglass insulation a 2" air space and then a sheet metal cover. The tank is rectangular. I got it hooked up and it works very good but after 2 days I seen water drips on the floor of my basement under the tank. I pressure tested this tank with air before I installed it so I dont think its leaking. The covers are pop riveted on so I drilled them out and looked under the top cover and its covered with condensation. Is this because of the moist air in my basement . I know I need more insulation but I want to be sure that I dont have a leak in the tank. I think the metal cover on top is causing my problem should I take it off and add more insulation leaving the metal cover off? Has anyone ran into this problem? I filled the tank with well water and started to heat the tank within 3 hours after filling .

I had lots of condesation when I initially filled my tank with water but once I got it up to temp I didn't have any.

Agree - once tank is hot and time has passed to dry out everything between the tank and the shell, there can be no condensation. You can only get condensation when due point temperature is above outside tank temperature.

Took the top cover off the tank and there is a pin hole leak at one of the welds ! I guess I have to weld it, nothing seems to go right since I started this whole project. In theory the whole system is good, its the stuff like this thats happened since the start that drives me nuts!

KarlK said:
I bought a 500 gallon pressurized tank from new horizon.

Make sure you get a photo of the leak and send it to New Horizon. If this is a new tank that they are selling, they'll want to know this as it could ruin allot of sales. You may even get compensated for your effort.

*edit* - when your done and the house is really warm when its really cold out - you'll be glad you spent the time and money to get the system up and running.

Thanks sdrobertson right now Im pretty disgusted but I do have to say the storage seems to be the way to go. last year I burned for a few weeks at the end of the season and it went into idle to much. Im going to call New Horizon I know its not his fault and I think he will be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.