Storage Tank options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2011
NE, Ohio
I'm weighing the option of using a single 1,000 gallon propane tank for water storage. Anyone advise against it?

Then, I'm thinking of putting it in the back room of a walk out basement. This will require breaking a hole in the wall to move the tank through then re-blocking. I'm capable of the task, but does anyone have nightmare stories on this type of plan?

Thanks

I Know of at least one member that has a 1000 gal propane tank and is happy with the results.

Two of them? I have access to two of them. With a house with 30K heat loss would it be benificial? I was hoping to get it to where I'm burning a fire once a day or every two days. I don't want to spend that much money, but I will if it is beneficial. I'm deciding to run my DHW off the system too.

what type of boiler are you using ? I have 500 gal propane storage. would really like 2000 gal. could cut down on my fire buildin alot.

Two of them? I have access to two of them. With a house with 30K heat loss would it be benificial? I was hoping to get it to where I’m burning a fire once a day or every two days. I don’t want to spend that much money, but I will if it is beneficial. I’m deciding to run my DHW off the system too.

This will be my 4th season with a 1000 gal pressurized LP storage tank. Tarm Solo 40 gasifier. Heats my 1500 sq ft shop with radiant in-floor. No DHW. Works perfectly. My calculated heat loss was 35,000 btuh, but actual in use heat loss last winter, based on weighed wood burns, was not more than 20,000 btuh in -35F night temperatures. I burned not more often than once about 6 hours every other day all winter, often every 3rd day or longer in milder weather. Kept the shop at 60F. No supplemental heat used.

Before you haul off and buy two 1,000 gallon tanks - how big is your boiler??? I sure know I'd love 2,000 gallons of storage but I also know that it would not be practical with my EKO 40 output vs. my burn schedule. Currently I'm running 7-8 hours per day, +/-, to charge 1,000 gallons. If I had twice the storage I would need twice the burn and that would not work with my week day work schedule. I can't manage 15+ hours of burning on any week day and still sleep/work. When my EKO is burning full bore she needs to be fed every 3 hours, +/-...

Similar experience, although my burn times are in the 5-6 hour range usually.

I would like to point out that having "too much" storage for normal conditions doesn't mean that you have to wait until the tank is completely depleted before firing again to recharge it. Systems with a perfect boiler/storage/heat-load match in January have "too much" storage for April.

If you had a firing routine of 6 hour burns daily with a 1000 gallon tank you could still do the same routine with 4000 gallons. Just fire it when convenient to you as the tank is about 1/4 depleted.

If your life is oriented around an irregular work schedule or occasional short road trips, it would give you the extra heat capacity to carry over until you get back. And then, of course, when you do get back you'll be burning hard until the tank catches up, but with all that extra capacity you'll have the extra convenience of burning when you can until it does catch up.

The cost of more storage than you need for average conditions is space requirements of the storage tanks themselves and their required expansion tank capacity (which can be expensive).

But for people who don't live a regular workday 8-hour gig and are gone from home for more extended times, it might be worth it.

I'm depreciating an old steel king 4800B fromn 80. The only thing I see on the boiler is a 450,000 BTU/Hr, but it says it is for max pressure valve relief...

I picked it up three years ago for $500 and have been using it since. I'm going to overhaul it this fall with some upgrades including added water jacket to front, back, and bottom. I'm planning to also put in the storage, properly zone the house, and organize the boiler system.

With a full time job, business and this boiler project I shouldn't even be typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.