Storage tank piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
I am trying to get a grip on this.

Here is what I have and plan to do

2= 500 gal lp tanks

supply into the top of both tanks equal length of pipe to charge even

use a 007 pump to pump from the top of both tanks from 2 different pipes to side arm then to forced air heat ex

return from heat ex to bottom of tanks

bottom of tanks to return on wood boiler

Am I over piping this? most of the diagrams show 1 pipe in to tank and a tee to pump then to load but if my pump is running all the time I wouldnt think the tank would charge.

Thanks for your help
Rob

Correct. Unless your underground lines are close to the surface and poorly insulated, there is no good reason to run the load circ pump all the time... Just wasting electricity. On my system, the thermostat calls for heat, the pump then kicks on. After the HX in the furnace gets warmed up, then a temperature switch turns the blower on. After the thermostat is satisfied, it turns the pump off.... Furnace blower runs until HX is cooled off, then temp controller shuts the blower back off.

Whats the deal with just one pipe in and a tee to pump? any benifits to this way verse the way I am going to do it? besides less pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.