Storage Tank Ports

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwad

Dec 7, 2011
CNY
Hey Y'all

Well I have had my 1000 gallon propane tank sitting in the new boiler room for about 2 months and now I am ready to punch some holes in it next week. I would like to put the supply and return ports on the top of the tank with a diffuser on the supply and a dip tube on the return. I plan on teeing off above the supply and return above the tank for the house demand. One question I have is would you put the supply and return all the way at each end (Next to the dome ends) or a few feet in from the ends? I have forged half couplings for 1.5 and plan on welding 2 inch electrical conduit to the coupling for a dip tube. Anybody using a diffuser on the supply or am I just wasting my time?

P.S. i got the tank from a relative that used them for storing water. No propane to worry about, just a little rust.

I would have the supply on the top and the retuns on the bottom.I inject right into the top of the tank.I would put a return on each end of the tank.You may want to put in a couple of wells for temp probes. What brand of boiler did are you useing?

I would have the supply on the top and the retuns on the bottom.I inject right into the top of the tank.I would put a return on each end of the tank.You may want to put in a couple of wells for temp probes. What brand of boiler did are you useing?

I purchased a Vigas 40 from Mark. I talked for a few minutes with him about piping the tank but got sidetracked on 10 other questions I had for him. He has the schematics the same way you are talking about. Is there a benefit from having the supply in the center and two returns vs. a supply on one end and the return on the other? I am not opposed to doing it either way. Going in the top would save me some space and be an easier install; a 1000 gallon tanks sure does eat up alot of room.

Status
Not open for further replies.