Storage tank prep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rallen12

Nov 17, 2008
sw michigan
I bought a 1000 gallon LP Tank for closed heat storage. I am wondering is there anything I need to do to prep the tank before filling it?

Thanks
RCA

Is it used? If so do a search on this site for "mercaptan" and you'll find all kinds of threads. The stuff can be nasty and you'll want it out of your tank before using it....

I cleaned a couple recently. The best out come for me was liquid bleach and Lemon Joy. Cold water pressure wash (hot would have been nice) first to get any loose stuff out. Then I added 1/4 tank of water and stuck pressure washer back in and let it slosh around for awhile, then continued to fill to top and let sit for a couple of days. Empty and rinse well before installation. Residual bleach is not good for boiler system.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.