1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Storage Tank

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by jjhpf, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjhpf

jjhpf New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Anyone thought/using old 250 gal gasoline tank for storage?
    What mods would one have to do?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    As Joe Brown pointed out in another thread about possibly using old heating oil tanks for hot water storage, it's hard to get the petroleum residue out of the tank. He said that when you heat it to 180 or 200 degrees, lots of volatile and nasty stuff appears, presumably creating a host of problems in the rest of your system. Hopefully Joe will elaborate.
  3. mmmvlm

mmmvlm New Member

Loc:
    mid Vermont
    You Can purchase a new 250 oil tank cheap at one the big box stores for home improvement
  4. BrownianHeatingTech

BrownianHeatingTech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    Gasoline leaves less residue than heating oil, but it is still a concern. Make sure the tank is well-cleaned, and don't expect it to last overly long without some manner of corrosion protection.

Joe
  5. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    I think the biggest problem is that you would probably want several of them - three or four. By the time you get and install that many, it's getting to be a non-trivial system. I don't think they're designed to be pressurized either, so that adds another circulator at the least.
  6. jjhpf

jjhpf New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    250 gal non pressure - first year tank for learning ?
    One 3/4" X 60'coil from Manards ?
  7. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    You're thinking of cutting a hole to insert the exchanger?

Unless you have radiant, the amount of usable heat storage in a 250 gallon tank will be disappointing. If you can heat it to 170 (optimistic) and use the heat down to 120 (reasonable for baseboard heat), that's about 100,00 BTU of storage - an hour's output or so, and enough to heat the house for two or three hours.
  8. jjhpf

jjhpf New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    -------
    I was thinking of cutting the top of and run one coil into tank, it would sit in garage which is
    unheated. Would not be a real learning experience since no coil will be in tank to extract heat,
    just a big floor radiator.
  9. TCaldwell

TCaldwell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    I have 2 275gal horizontal new oil tanks for more storage in a crawl space in my basement cut into my supply line between the garn and the flatplate hx. Most have a ul tag for 5 psi., i called the manufacturer ,he said a home oil tank will distort at 12psi and you are on your own at 15psi however they periodically test to burst some make it to 35+psi. My non pressureized system runs at 7 psi, i had a pressure relief valve made for 9 psi and installed in one of the tank bungs
  10. Tarmsolo60

Tarmsolo60 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Adirondack Mountains
    the same coils that put heat into tank also take it out. I have no specific heat in or heat out coils.
  11. jjhpf

jjhpf New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    ____________________________________________________________________________

I'm on the bottom of the learning curve here
    I thought one coil came from boiler to heat storage and another coil pulled it out supply hot water to house.
    I thought the 250 tank would be easy to get up and running - learning experance for this season
    I salvaged over 100' of 3/4" copper finned base board system - no trim
    Someday I will lay out 40-50' of it in garage
    Pick up my Solo 40 tomorrow from Alegeny Peliot in PA
    Thanks - jim
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.