Storage Tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McKraut

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
South Central PA
Would double-walled fuel storage tanks be an option instead of using old propane tanks for water storage?

McKraut said:
Would double-walled fuel storage tanks be an option instead of using old propane tanks for water storage?
Normally fuel tanks are unsuitable for pressure storage. 25 psi doesn't sound like much, it can really distort a non presure tank though. The double wall should be some better although this was probably more for environmental safety than containing pressure, Randy

For pressurized storage? No. I was wondering this myself so checked the tag on a double wall we have here. It had a pressure rating in Bars - got all excited there for a few minutes until I convert the Bars to PSI and it was only 2 or 3.

maple1 said:
For pressurized storage? No. I was wondering this myself so checked the tag on a double wall we have here. It had a pressure rating in Bars - got all excited there for a few minutes until I convert the Bars to PSI and it was only 2 or 3.

How many "bars" was it ?

Ooops, guess my memory was worse than I thought.

It is in KPa, not bars - and only 7 of them.

Which is barely above zero on my pressure gauge - I didn't actually convert, I just looked on a gauge.

maple1 said:
Ooops, guess my memory was worse than I thought.

It is in KPa, not bars - and only 7 of them.

Which is barely above zero on my pressure gauge - I didn't actually convert, I just looked on a gauge.

Seven thousand pascals, why that's almost three kilo stones per square rod! Must have been a hell of a tank. ;-)

Not much technical help, but I have an empty 500 gallon propane tank at 16933. I have $150.00 into it, and would part with it to a site member for that if you need it.

NCPABill said:
Not much technical help, but I have an empty 500 gallon propane tank at 16933. I have $150.00 into it, and would part with it to a site member for that if you need it.

Feel like driving to Nova Scotia?

maple1 said:
NCPABill said:

:lol: Good one Maple1. That's not that far NCPABill. Nothing like a little road trip.

NCPABill,

That is a nice offer and good of you to offer that to another member for that price. You could get 2 or 3 times that easily to the right person. What happened that you ended up with an extra? How is the burning going for ya? Have you started yet?

Have a good one guys.

maple1 said:
NCPABill said:

I'm on my way. That is a right turn when I hit Maine isn't it?

NCPABill said:

I appreciate the offer but you are at the top of PA and I am at the bottom. My guess is about 200 miles away. I am trying to find something closer. I will keep looking -- thanks again.

To everybody else.......

Thank you for the information. I had found a few fuel tanks close buy, for a good price, and they would have fit into my plans quite nicely.

McKraut said:
maple1 said:
NCPABill said:

That's right - if you hit Cape Breton though you drove past me about 2 hours back.

Wouldn't want to put you out too much - so just call me when you hit NB and I'll come meet you there.

;)

EDIT: I only wish I could find something like that 200 miles away - that's whatchya get for living in the middle of nowhere I guess.

maple1 said:
McKraut said:
maple1 said:
NCPABill said:

That's right - if you hit Cape Breton though you drove past me about 2 hours back.

Wouldn't want to put you out too much - so just call me when you hit NB and I'll come meet you there.

;)

EDIT: I only wish I could find something like that 200 miles away - that's whatchya get for living in the middle of nowhere I guess.

I hear you. Every time I complain about how far I have to drive to get something, my wife reminds me that I am the one that wanted to live in the country. She is right. I just shut up and drive..........better yet, I should learn just to shut up.

NCPABill,

That is a nice offer and good of you to offer that to another member for that price. You could get 2 or 3 times that easily to the right person. What happened that you ended up with an extra?

I bought one, and the company had another at the same time. They were going to scrap them. I was hoping to, somehow, eek another 500 gallons into my tank location by stacking, but in the end felt it wasn't worth the hassle. I would sell it for alot more (certainly), but I owe my knowledge (however limited) to the site, therefore the at cost pricing.

How is the burning going for ya? Have you started yet?

The burning is going well. I read more here almost daily looking for the tricks to burn better. Mostly burning to cut the chill, but probably more due to the excitement of the new system.

Have a good one,

Bill

Living in the middle of nowhere is why a fella buys two, in case he needs them!

Thanks Bill. I appreciate you generous offer. I am very appreciative for all the help I've gotten from everybody on this site. This site has been fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.