Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
First year pellet user (Harmon accentra 52i) received my pellets... Wtf... They take up sooooo much room. Where do you guys store your pellets?

Reactions: Bucks Pellets
I have my pellets in the basement, but maybe you can pile them up along the wall of a garage, up to the ceiling, like I do with my wood.

First year pellet user (Harmon accentra 52i) received my pellets... Wtf... They take up sooooo much room. Where do you guys store your pellets?
I have a 3 car garage. One suv, one full size truck, one camper, riding mower, push mower, generator, tool box, and one ton of pellets. Its tight but I make it work.

6 tons in my single garage. Not much room for anything else though

Attachments

• 1445565930402-495947210.jpg
    1445565930402-495947210.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 356
i've got a whole room in my basement i use as the pellet bunker.
in place of the window is a hatch for loading in.
i have just under 9 tons in there now.

I got a 4x6 shed that sits right outside my backdoor,(i can drive right up to it to unload ) I got 2 ton squeezed in there right now once the stock depletes down to about a half ton I restock, For the years when pellets become hard to get I got a 24x48 garage i can hoard some in also.

I have a little over 2 tons in my unfinished basement and about 2.7 tons in my single car garage. My car should fit in there since the bay is the entire witdh of the house (24'), but right now I have other stuff taking up space too so haven't actually tried it. In previous years, I bought by the bag, so just kept topping off my basement storage whenever I got to a ton (during coldest part of winter, I would get 10-15 bags a couple days per week to keep my stash good). This year I ran into some good deals for delivery, so got 4 tons all at one - so I'm trying the garage storage too.

Basement%20full_zpsqielnir4.jpg

pellets%20in%20garage_zpsqcgy4ft3.jpg

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Our basement is finished. When we finished it off one of the closets was built to be able to hold 2 tons (all the way to the ceiling). I also have 2 tons out in a shed that had it's floor supports beefed up just for that purpose.

Do you basement folks carry up bag by bag to the stove.

Reactions: bogieb
1200 sqft garage. store mine in the back room of garage along wall easy access to house and stove. plus don't have to go out in winter to get them.

Unfortunately mine are stored outside.

All are ontop of another pallet, I have a 12x16 tarp over it, tied down so it doesnt blow away, but not so tight that air cannot blow through a little bit. So far no moisture issues at all.

12065958_1086637001355437_1851734376906298722_n.jpg

I've got (4) 1.5 ton piles taking up a corner of my finished basement.

Any issues with mice or rodents for those of you who have them in the garage? Mine are in a 3 season room that's on it's own slab but it's very drafty and has no insulation in the walls. I was wondering if I should spray the perimeter or set up traps or something.

I would avoid using chemicals near the pellets. The last thing you want is for your stash to absorb any of it then use them in your stove.

I would avoid using chemicals near the pellets. The last thing you want is for your stash to absorb any of it then use them in your stove.

I was thinking just spraying the perimeter of the room. The pellets are elevated on pallets with some room off the walls and side of the room for air movement. this is my first year storing and burning though, so if people don't run into rodent problems I don't see any reason why I would. Yard is pretty clean and we live in the burbs.

Last edited:
Not much issue with rodents with storage of pellets. I put a couple glue traps around the basement inside walls and I bring in what corn I need to fill the stoves as needed. Have to use other means of control in the other buildings as we live in the middle of couple sections of corn and bean fields. Never seen so many rodents as this fall.

I have never had trouble with rodents and mine is in a detached garage.

I got room in the cellar for 3-4 more ton, bring 'em over, I'll send 'em to ya when ya want 'em.................

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.