Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on a nuclear winter? :eek:

Really don't know how it is going to work.
Was used to the coal stove, been using that quite a while,
before it was wood..... trying out pellets this year...
I know what I used for wood and coal, and can approximately figure
what I "might" need for pellets.. This isn't really all that much for a
big old New Englander built in 1895... It will be interesting.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: Peterfield
First year pellet user (Harmon accentra 52i) received my pellets... Wtf... They take up sooooo much room. Where do you guys store your pellets?
1 ton on the porch, 2 tons in the garage

d26fc4649b07adb50be4439d2e864076.jpgceac7638e9c60055cba660bd327d22f4.jpg

1 ton on the porch, 2 tons in the garage

What did you buy and where?

Anybody have have advice on Maine Wood Pellets?

http://www.mainewoodpellets.com

There's a local business, local family that carries these. The original owner of this stove was using these.

Any advice?

There's a local business, local family that carries these. The original owner of this stove was using these.

Any advice?
I bought the hardwood premium at Tractor supply, I tried a few bags this week and they burn decent. Unfortunately still 264.50 a ton

5 tons stored in our Basement.....
windows pop out so easy to un-load from the driveway.... Bought all these during Spring Early buy. Those Golden hardwoods are Low ash brand from Energex. Limited production time to get them each year before they are gone till next year.
yes we bring up at least 1 bag per day when cold arrives...
IMG_2704.JPG
IMG_2707.JPG

Attachments

• 10151137_839547302729343_7793896227391643054_n.jpg
    10151137_839547302729343_7793896227391643054_n.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: bogieb

Any advice?

i've been burning these for four + seasons now.
low weight in ash, but high volume (fly ash). they have never formed clinkers and they are not ridiculously expensive.
my stove is a top feeder and just blows the fly ash out into the firebox, so my firepot is always clear.
i just use a flat piece of metal to scoop out excess ash between full cleanings. (into a metal pail)
i'm not spending $50 to $100 more per ton just to get less fly ash. no way i'll ever get that money back in "extra" heat.
these things have kept me warm at 20 below with no problem.

if pinetree pellets gets up and running, i will give them a try. i like the idea of a local small mill in our area and will support them as long as the product is decent and the price is right. otherwise i'll stick w/ MWP blend.

i tried the MWP softwoods one year, and then the some of the crabbe softwoods the next year.
i finally just settled back on all MWP blend.

Reactions: Ambient and bogieb
5 ton in garage. It's all what you are willing to do for comfort.

Attachments

• Image10112011193546.jpg
    Image10112011193546.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: Cory S and bogieb
Wow u guys have killer setups for storage... I'll try to take a pic of mine when I get my other 2 tons in.. I have 1 ton stacked against my garage wall (brick pattern)!nothing special :-(

Anyone lucky enough to live in an area close enough to a supplier to get bulk deliveries and have a hopper set up?

My 2 car garage is 27' deep so I can store 2 tons along with the lawn mower and 2 trail bikes in front of one car.
What's under the tarp???

Bill

Since due to health reasons I can't store in the basement (waiting on back surgery) I get the kids to unload 35-40 bags at a time into our front hall.
uploadfromtaptalk1446925218255.png

The ole Ranger still handle 1500 pounds pretty well I think lol...
uploadfromtaptalk1446925260585.png

Reactions: bogieb and Cory S
Vincent's Plumbing and Heating, north of Utica, does bulk delivery.
Called them last year, the owner was to call but never called me back, so I assumed they didn't deliver up here. The assistant told me they had a few accounts in the area.

So do you have a bulk tank or hopper?

Status
Not open for further replies.