Storing Compressed Saw Dust Bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drstorm

Burning Hunk
Aug 19, 2016
Northeast PA
Hi all.
I've read up a bunch on individuals experience with burning eco bricks,bio bricks etc.
There seems to be some mixed signals on whether or not they actually absorb moisture from the air making them harder to burn.
Do any of you have recent experience with say a humid but not wet basement storage?
The manufacturer claims they don't absorb humidity,but some posts that pop up on here over the years seem to question that.
I have bought up a bunch of the 3 and 6 pack TSC Redstone bricks to supplement with my so/so seasoned cord wood if needed.I just don't want to find out after months of a high humidity basement that a few hundred dollars worth of these stacked on pallets have increased in moisture content significantly.

Last edited:
I have a similar concern, actually just storing them outside under a tarp. I don't see this would be a problem in a winter, but in the fall season there is plenty of rain and moisture. Also, I have a dry basement, never had water in it, in winter it's not humid at all, but all other seasons I empty dehumidifier periodically.

I haven't ordered my bricks, but this should be an easy way to find out but storing a few samples and tracking weight increase.

Reactions: drstorm
Store them in a dry place. If they get moist they are toast.

Store them in a dry place. If they get moist they are toast.
Yes,but moist via actual water penetration or moist from absorbing humidity?
If cordwood still dries out in a basement or top covered setting regardless of humidity,would that not be the same for the sawdust logs?
I've seen many posts speaking of storing an emergency supply in a basement,garage,covered outside etc,but also one or two posts saying they feel storing in a humid location(not wet) may have compromised the bricks burnability.

Last edited:
They will probably be fine in the basement as long as the humidity is not a constant 90%+. Is there any heat in the basement to keep pipes from freezing. They probably could be stored outside under a good tarp if no moisture comes in contact. Not from above or splashing off the ground, or from a hole in the tarp. Removing the tarp and keeping things dry with a heavy wet snow could be a challenge.

Reactions: drstorm
They will probably be fine in the basement as long as the humidity is not a constant 90%+. Is there any heat in the basement to keep pipes from freezing. They probably could be stored outside under a good tarp if no moisture comes in contact. Not from above or splashing off the ground, or from a hole in the tarp. Removing the tarp and keeping things dry with a heavy wet snow could be a challenge.
10.4 on some heat in the basement.
I do agree that outside with a tarp is really pushing it for several reason,like a tear during freezing weather destroys your pallet of bricks once that thermometer hits 45.

PS: I have not tried these bricks out yet. Need to get to a TSC store to see. There are often two kinds of bricks or logs. Loosely compressed bricks are not so hot. The super compressed ones perform much better.

I have about 2 tons of bricks out on my front covered porch leftover from last year, they are wrapped in plastic per package and at the end of last season I took plastic shrinkwrap and wrapped up the entire pallet really good, I took a package out to burn in the firepit last weekend and it did fine. None of them have swollen up like what will happen if water gets on them. And we have had A LOT of rain lately.

I think they will be fine in the basement, after all they are wrapped in plastic

I don't know anything about these bricks. I assume your not talking about those fireplace logs. Are they made for use in our wood stoves? Can I find them at Tractor supply? What are the different types? What's the cost?

I have a ton in the basement, which is wicked humid, since last year and they look like the day they were born.

Burn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.