storing indoors / drying time by type/old logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Hi everyone, new to the site and woodburning. Replacing my - pellet stove soon. Just beginning to get my wood trove together, going to borrow a bit from a neighbor to get started, and then try to get her "ahead" as well - her supplier is fair but sells her wet stuff judging by the amount of smoke she puts out.

My Questions are: iAfter cutting and splitting new wood, how soon would you move it inside to speed up drying - I can fit about 1/2 cord in my basement in an unused area cross-stacked for next year. Should i put it in right away or let it sit awhile?

Also, to get the driest wood fastest, should i concentrate on hickory, locust, or red / white oak? I also have some tulip poplar and maple on the property.

Finally, I have access to a powerline that was cut about 18 months ago. Most of the trees (no locust though) have a good bit of fungus on them, (including some excellent oysters). Are they worthwhile to scrounge, or should I concentrate on new stuff?

Thanks, looking forward to hangin' with y'all.

I would keep the wood outside until about november. It will season faster outside than inside and you have nice warm falls in VA so you'll get some good seasoning in the fall. I think covering the wood is nice as long as you allow plenty of air movement under the cover, but trying to season in a basement is probably not a good idea either for the wood or for the basement. Wood has a lot of water in it and it might make the basement too moist, and at the same time the basement probably won't provide the air movement you need to dry out the wood.

For next year I'd concentrate on Locust, Tulip, and Red Maple. Oak and Hickory are great firewoods but slower to season. If you cut those I'd stack them separately and try to keep them an extra year if you can.

Wood on the powerline should be OK, especially if it is up off the ground. A few fungi don't mean the wood is too rotten to use. Take your chainsaw out there and cut some. if it is solid you'll know when cutting. If you find wood with punk on the outside but solid inside that is the one type of wood I think needs to be covered first. The punk on the outside will soak up water and stay wet, which must make the solid wood season a lot more slowly. Even partially punky wood should season uncovered outside during the summer, but move it inside before the fall gets too cool.

osagebow said:
Hi everyone, new to the site and woodburning. Replacing my - pellet stove soon. Just beginning to get my wood trove together, going to borrow a bit from a neighbor to get started, and then try to get her "ahead" as well - her supplier is fair but sells her wet stuff judging by the amount of smoke she puts out.

My Questions are: iAfter cutting and splitting new wood, how soon would you move it inside to speed up drying - I can fit about 1/2 cord in my basement in an unused area cross-stacked for next year. Should i put it in right away or let it sit awhile? Like WoodDuck I would keep the wood outside as long as possible to dry faster . . . generally basements are not well known for being very windy, exposed to the sun and in some cases are not really all that dry . . . so my vote would be to stack it outside for a fair amount of time before hauling it inside . . . if the goal is to get it as dry as possible with not a lot of extra work or expense.

Also, to get the driest wood fastest, should i concentrate on hickory, locust, or red / white oak? I also have some tulip poplar and maple on the property. Well it all needs to be seasoned . . . if you are asking what species you should try to work on first . . . well I guess I would go for the poplar and any soft maple you might have as it would tend to season faster . . . and most folks will tell you that it is rare to have oak that is truly seasoned after just one year . . . most folks figure on two or even three years before use with oak. The locust should be ready to go according to folks who have used this before in a year or so.

Finally, I have access to a powerline that was cut about 18 months ago. Most of the trees (no locust though) have a good bit of fungus on them, (including some excellent oysters). Are they worthwhile to scrounge, or should I concentrate on new stuff? In my opinion it would depend on just how rotten the wood is . . . if it is all punky I would take a pass . . . but if the majority was still solid or if you were in the need of wood and it wasn't to the point where it would just crumble in your hand I might try some of it out. Generally though when I see mushrooms growing on wood it's not a very good sign that the wood is any good.

Like said, Season outside in the air, maybe a cover on the top only.
Since you are going to be burning for many years, get all types you mentioned, red oak takes longer so separate it for 2 year+ seasoning time.
Power line wood: If easy access, can't beat it.
I'd think 18 months the lots of the wood would still be solid, make a cut in the log & if it's solid you'll score well. Any off the ground should be good.
I cut down spruce all the time & the base may be rotten but a few feet up, I get good wood. The bark falls off but the wood is solid
I'd get the easy stuff first (if it's solid), it's all BTUs.
Getting a year ahead or more takes a while without a good source, If the power line is good wood, great source to get ahead. :)

osagebow said:

My Questions are: iAfter cutting and splitting new wood, how soon would you move it inside to speed up drying - I can fit about 1/2 cord in my basement in an unused area cross-stacked for next year. Should i put it in right away or let it sit awhile?

Also, to get the driest wood fastest, should i concentrate on hickory, locust, or red / white oak? I also have some tulip poplar and maple on the property.

Finally, I have access to a powerline that was cut about 18 months ago. Most of the trees (no locust though) have a good bit of fungus on them, (including some excellent oysters). Are they worthwhile to scrounge, or should I concentrate on new stuff?

Good information the others gave. But first, welcome to the forum. I see you are an archer so you must be an all right sort of guy! Make your own bows too I'll bet.

First lesson is that you do not move wood indoors to speed drying. Rather, that impedes drying. You will also quickly learn that wood dries at varying rates and that your oak will probably take the longest. Around here we do not burn oak until it has dried for 3 years. We also don't count drying time to start until the after the wood has been cut to length, split and stacked outside in the wind.

Here is how we do it. At present we are cutting wood because the winter months are the best time to cut for many reasons. We just stack the wood into rows as we cut it and then about the time the snow has melted, usually March or April, then we do all the splitting. The stacking immediately follows the splitting. Here is one example of splitting time. You can see how we stacked the wood up during the winter months.

3-23-09b.jpg

Splitting done.
4-4-09e.jpg

Stacking done.
Wood-2009e.jpg

That was done in April of 2009. We are burning some of that wood this winter and will burn more of it next winter. The first summer and fall the wood was left out uncovered. Late November we covered the top of the wood piles with old galvanized roofing. (Never cover the sides or ends of the stacks.)

Wood covered.
Woodfrom2009.jpg

Notice in that last picture there are some poles under the wood. This is to keep the wood up off the ground which will not only keep the wood dry but will also allow the air circulation under the wood and air circulation (especially wind) is what you need to dry the wood.

We usually give the wood a minimum of 2 years to dry and have given it many more years. We finished burning some 7-8 year old wood not that long ago and it is almost unbelievable how much better the wood burns after left that long to dry.

In October we moved 3 cord of that wood into our barn and that is what we are burning now. We'll do the same thing next October except we'll probably have a lot of wood left over from this year because of the mild winter we are having.

So the big thing is to get the wood split, stack it in the wind and let Mother Nature do the drying for you. If you must cover the wood, cover only the top. Tarps make a poor covering. Use something more solid if at all possible. After the wood is dry it is okay to move indoors.

As for the power line stuff, don't worry too much about the fungus but do pay attention to how hard the wood is. If it has started turning punky, which is possible because of the way you describe it, then leave it. If it is hard, grab it and smile.

Good luck.

Thanks guys - good rundown there Backwoods, impressive stacks!
I do make my own bows, and get the staves dry by keeping them in the basement near the pellet stove, should have clarified that I was going to stack a small bit in the same room as the stove, instead of just saying "the basement". Usually post late when kids are down and I'm half-out : )

Luckily, I cut several locusts about 6 years ago that have lost the bark and sapwood, but still look great inside. same with the random osage chunks all over the place. Whacked a few more locusts to boot. Most or the P-line stuff was iffy, but find a few small trees they recently felled doing a re-cut since hunting season. Have a nice rectangular grapevine trellis but the grapes were a dissapointment...making wine is a pain anyway...instant woodshed! Pics when I find where my sons put the camera.

osagebow said:
Thanks guys - good rundown there Backwoods, impressive stacks!
I do make my own bows, and get the staves dry by keeping them in the basement near the pellet stove, should have clarified that I was going to stack a small bit in the same room as the stove, instead of just saying "the basement".

Ah... drying in the same room as the stove will speed drying immensely. Especially when the mercury dips into the single digits or lower. The relative humidity of indoor winter air is way lower than outdoor summer air. Fans will help, too. You can get fresh-cut wood scary dry in six weeks in a hot stove room.

You should send a member called "Adios Pantelones" a PM. He used to make bows. I suspect they were pretty. He is quite a ceramic artist and an analytic chemist to boot.

Oh, and welcome to our circus here. A great bunch of guys and gals who can answer just about any question you can come up with.

Welcome Osagebow - lots of good advice above and I am here to learn more than teach but wanted to just mention that I am way into trad archery and have been making bows and arrows and stone arrowheads for a long time. Be prepared to see a lot of osage cut and stacked in 16-20" pieces that will make you cringe a little as a bowyer. It is a great, great fire wood with more BTU's per lb and cubic foot than most but dog gone if I don't see a lot of bows going up in smoke!!!

The good thing is that only so much of any osage tree is worthy of my time as a bowyer due to it's natural tendency to grow crooked and gnarly so even on a good "Bow wood" score most of the tree is best use in the stove. I just wish I was doing this when I had access to about a 100 full cord of osage and only took some straight, clean pieces for bows.

hahaha...already saw a post on the wood shed like that. Did kinda cringe, but I'm lucky enough to have a lot of hedge around here for bows, and definitely will cut some for the stove next time I get bow wood. Tops the btu lists I have seen by a good bit.

Haven't knapped yet though. Nice to see other selfbow guys on here. Now i can properly dispose of the ones I break!

Status
Not open for further replies.