storing pellet questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tundraSQ

Oct 7, 2006
I have 4 tons of pellets being delivered in a few days. I would love to just store them in my garage over the winter and bring them inside 30 or 40 bags at a time to give them a few weeks to aclimate. Are they safe outside in a detached and unheated gargage? Or should they all come inside to my basement before winter? (yes i am new to this)

They're fine there, and there's no need to "acclimate" pellets before use. I know what you're thinking (moisture and/or temperature) but you don't need to worry about those issues.

They are fine. Inspect your bags if you can when delivered. If the pallet is wraped look for cut's, hole's, etc... Exterior moisture can penatrate the smallest areas and ruin the whole bag like a virus. When you store them keep em a few inches above the ground. (pallet if you have them).

RingOfFire said:
They are fine. Inspect your bags if you can when delivered. If the pallet is wraped look for cut's, hole's, etc... Exterior moisture can penatrate the smallest areas and ruin the whole bag like a virus. When you store them keep em a few inches above the ground. (pallet if you have them).

thanks..yes I will keep them right on the pallets then.

We stacked them right on our garage's old wooden floor. Even with NW winter rains this was a non-issue. If you keep them from getting directly wet, they'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.