Storing Pellets....do you think this will work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deucedown

May 26, 2008
poughkeepsie, ny
Hi, next year I want to store my pellets outside as I can't use my garage space anymore. Do you think something like this will work? I live in the northeast (poughkeepsie, NY). If I order pellets in the summer do you think rodents would get to the pellets. I'm also concerned that it might not hold up in the winter, however there was a couple good reviews. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/ShelterLogic-6x6x6-5-E-Shed-Gray/dp/B001G7Q230/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_ttl

I have and 8X12 wooden storage shed and it was amazing how much that thing would hold when the pellets were stacked floor to ceiling. I had five tons in there, and it probably would hold seven. That thing that you were looking at looks pretty flimsy, if the snow didn't get it, the wind might, If you did use that thing, you would have to keep the pellets on the wooden pallets, and anyone that came by could easily steal them.

I store my pellets in my garage and therefore free from any rodents so I can't speak with any knowledge about storing pellets outside. But I've had one of those sheds for nearly 10 years now (12'x20) and I can vouch for their ability to keep what is inside well protected from the elements.

Hopefully others who store their pellets outside will chime in here, but other than rodents I don't see any problems with that.

Steve

You could try it. Apparently the pellets can be affected by extreme swings in temperature and humidity. I've read elsewhere that outside storage is not the best, because of this. I think this shelter is almost as good as inside storage. Others have said rodents tend to sample the bags, making one small hole in them. I had two tons stored in my garage and I think mice sampled about three of them. I hope this shelter has some sort of vent in it, I think that would be good.

I'm sure others have more expertise in this than me.

I don't think you'll have a rodent problem.

I kept 2 tons of sweet smelling Lignetics on my breezeway ( bad move because it sunk the floor some from the weight ) and I know mice, chipmunks and squirrels go in there on a regular basis.

I've been to the bottom of the stack of Lignetics already and haven't found any torn bags. All have been OK.

They've been in there since last July.

Also kept another ton of Maine Woods pellets in the garage, which has the same visitors, and no problems there either. I finished off that ton a few weeks ago.

But I wouldn't trust that tent in strong winds. Especially strong wind-swept rain.

If I were you I'd buy a dozen or so cinder blocks and lay them out. Then put a few pallets on top of those.

Stack the bags on the pallets and cover if all up with some water proof tarping.

Then anchor the whole thing around the outside perimeter using more cinder blocks.

It would be cheaper too.

JMO.

Good luck.

FG.

CZARCAR said:
i've heard of rodents chewing thru pellet bags. fresh pellets smell fruity! might want to wait for the SPECIAL when they give a free cat witth purchase.

We had one of the most humid, rainy summers on record, and I can say that it did not effect my pellets being outside at all in my wooden storage shed with a pressure treated floor.

If I do purchase this...maybe as a temporary structure until I can buy a shed (maybe 5 years) it will go behind a fence separating our front and backyard. It will also go on the driveway (portion behind the fence.) I will prop it up using cinderblocks, that was a good idea.

Rodents will get to whatever they want to get to. No matter if it is a shed, garage or basement. All you can do is try to control them. As for the shed you have posted, that thing is only 6x6, not going to get a whole lot of pellet storage out of that, even if you stack them to the top, which if you do, be careful because if you stack them a little slanted your whole shed may come a tumbling down.

It looks like that shelter is similar to mine in that the bottom 8" or so of the sides are free to flap allowing ventilation inside. Most important though is that you have got to find some way to anchor the framing firmly to the ground. I used 3 anchors per side (total of 6) that screw into the ground about 18" and have held my shelter firmly for years.

Also, as someone already mentioned, be sure to keep them well off the ground. At least on pallets at a minimum.

Steve

bungalobob said:
Rodents will get to whatever they want to get to. No matter if it is a shed, garage or basement. All you can do is try to control them. As for the shed you have posted, that thing is only 6x6, not going to get a whole lot of pellet storage out of that, even if you stack them to the top, which if you do, be careful because if you stack them a little slanted your whole shed may come a tumbling down.

You're right, that is something I didn't think of....the pellets are slanting in my garage as we speak. I guess I will need something bigger.

When they deliver your pallet(s) don't try and re-stack them in the same way ( 10 levels high of 5 bags each ) because it's too hard to balance them. It's too high without the saran wrap holding it all together.

Just spread them out more when you re-stack them to keep the pile from getting too high.

In my garage I went 8 piles of 6 bags high each ( the first 2 bags went straigt into my Big E's hopper ).

Never even came close to falling over.

Just a little common sense will do the trick.

FG.

deucedown said:
bungalobob said:

You're right, that is something I didn't think of....the pellets are slanting in my garage as we speak. I guess I will need something bigger.

The guys who delivered and stacked my pellets into my shed must have been stacking masters. The somehow alternated the bags and got them 12 or 13 bags high, and they were perfectly straight, and completely sturdy. It probably was only possible because the walls of the shed provide a fair amount of support.

My father-in-law had a similar (much larger) storage unit at his camp in the Adirondacks where he stored his boat for the winter. Snow wasn't too big and issue. If you have a quality unit the poles should be made of a heavy gauge steel.

Anchor is well as stated earlier.

His biggest problem was condensation on the inside "ceiling". He ended up putting a couple of louver vents (6"x18" soffit vent stock I think).

If I had to do something like this (I can store 6 ton in my garage and still get 2 vehicles in) I'd get a unit large enough so that you don't have to de-pallet your pellets. You might need to put some plywood down so your supplier can use a pallet jack.

although outdoor storage is not the best set up, I know many people who do so. The biggest problems I've seen from this are from sitting in grass that grows up under the pallets and eventually allows moisture from dew, rain, fog etc. to wick its way through the pallet and then into the lower bags and given enough time it travels up the stack. I'm sure this get compounded by the plastic shroud which stops that same moisture from being able to escape and then will condense on the inside of the shroud. I'm sure having them in the shade for all this doesn't help too much either. The second thing I see on outdoor storage is that the shroud has a limited UV protection. After a few months they can become brittle and get little cracks in them allowing rain and whatnot in. Pellets that sit on concrete, gravel and other non-moisture retaining materials and then get covered with your classic blue tarp are usually good for months. at least in my experience.

My pellet storage shed is 10' X 12', with a wood floor. It used to be my wood shed, I just added sides and a floor. I'm able to stack the pellets 15 bags high fitting 11 ton plus in the shed. The floor consists of 2 X 4's, pressure treated, 12" on center with strand board decking. I did use blocking under the 2 X 4's every 3 ft to support the weight of 11 ton. If your going to use the canvas storage shed that you mentioned I might suggest to build a floor as I did, attatch the canvas bottom to the floor using strapping and screws, this would make it more secure against high winds.

[I
pelletshed2600x450.jpg
MG]

pelletshed1600x450.jpg

I think you would be all right, I would use pallet to stack the pellet on, I know the pellet that are made in Oregon and Idaho are stored outside.

Get the pellets off the ground and put lots of D-CON in there

Here's the "shed" that I have to store my extra pellets. 2 tons go in the basement, and the other 3 go here. used it this past winter, and no issues with weather, mice, or squirrels.

Attachments

• Pellet Storage shed.JPG
    Pellet Storage shed.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,528
This is the small building we use for pellets. Once this is full we start using the big one.

Eric

Attachments

• SANY0399.JPG
    SANY0399.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 512
  • SANY0402.JPG
    SANY0402.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 460
Don't forget to use the dog house. You can probably get around 5 bags in there. :cheese:

codebum said:
Don't forget to use the dog house. You can probably get around 5 bags in there. :cheese:

Too Funny.....poor dog.

Hey Eric, your not going to do this to Pellet, are you? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.