Storing Pellets in the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ducker

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Leominster, MA
Those that are doing this, how dry is your basement?
I will get some water in there, and I have a dehumidifier, and I'm thinking as damp as it might get from a long period of heavy rain, it would be better to store the pellets down there instead of say, outside under a tarp or something.

Would those that store pellets in the basement agree?

As long as they are off the ground on a pallet then I wouldn't see the difference from storing them outside. They likely already spent a considerable amount of time sitting in the yard at the pellet mill prior to arriving at your dealer.

I have stored mine in my basement for the last 3 years on plastic pallets . I have had no problems so far.

buildingmaint said:
I have stored mine in my basement for the last 3 years on plastic pallets . I have had no problems so far.

Do you ever get water down there? Not to the excess where it would be an inch or so... but you know, light water seepage. In quite a few places I'll get puddles... and if it's really bad kinda like a small stream (not deep... lol) of water will flow from one side of my basement to the other.

I also store my pellets in the basement on pallets, no problems so far.
If you keep them off the bare floor and they should do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.