Storing Pellets - Long Term

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heb80

Feb 14, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
How long can pellets be stored for? If you can get a decent deal and have the space, is it a bad idea to stock up on pellets for several winters? Will the summer humidity deteriorate the pellets summer after summer?

I'm no expert on pellets but I would think that if stored in a low humidity environment and not exposed to large and fast temperature swings (which would create condensation inside the bags) they would last indefinately.

That's a good question, something I'm real interested in. How about storing them for just one year also, how will that effect the pellets? With the thought of pellet prices skyrocketing my plan was to buy now for the next heating season, but the whole humidity thing is a concern of mine too.

I've carried pellets over to the next winter and they were fine but I wouldn't buy multiple years worth.

Not sure what more than one summers worth of humidity would do.

Storing wood pellets for long periods should not be a problem if stored properly. Most pellet manufacturers store inventory outside and if wrapped properly hold up very well. Mor than likely if you purchase wood pellets in November they could have very well been produced in April or earlier, that dwell time will decrease as the season continues. Generally now is the best time to buy your pellets if you have a good place to store them as they should be fresh and you will be in control of how they are stored.
Condensation may occur on the outside of the bags if they are moved from a very cold location to a warm location, however the condisation will be on the outside of the bags and the pellets should be fine if the bag doesn't have any holes caused by damage. I have actually done this by testing the moisture content of pellets that had extreme condisation on the bag after being brought in from the cold and left in a warm enviroment overnight. When the bag was opened the inside of the bag still had dust residue on the inside of the bag and the moisture content was still under 6%.
I you can store your pellets inside a DRY outbuilding they should keep for quite sometime. As long as the pellets do not get wet they should keep indefinitely as they are made from dried wood just as a hardwood floor or the wood furniture in your home. If you are considering stocking up just plan to store your wood pellets in a place that you wouldn't care to store a piece of wood furniture that you don't want to get damaged by the elements. I have stored pellets in my garage for a year and had no problems.

Same here, some of the bags from the bottom of the pile (I was too lazy to rotate the stock last spring) have date codes of 10/06, They have been stored in an outdoor shed on a pallet since sometime in early 07. They are burning just as well as the newer stuff.

PutnamJct said:
Same here, some of the bags
from the bottom of the pile (I was too lazy to rotate the stock last spring) have date
codes of 10/06, They have been stored in an outdoor shed on a pallet
since sometime in early 07. They are burning just as well as the newer stuff.

Lol. Same story here only I have them in a garage not a shed. Burning great!
;-)

I saw all the doom and gloom stories about corn a few years back and I had the same results. Bilco door wide open most of the summer and I think one small hole maby two in a 3 years of storing bags of corn on the cement floor in my basement. No pallet no nothing wide open to the world of mice and a couple small holes representing a few cups "literally" of wasted corn spilling out. Hell it burned better than ever as it was as dry as it should be the next Fall. I am glad to see the same for pellets exists though I would never set them on a concrete floor. I used to leave them sitting out in the weather under the eave with a plastic tarp in Dec right in the rain and sleet before going to corn. All short term but never had a problem really though it was short term a week or three. I guess its time to start laying in next years supply when Sams club has em around.

PutnamJct said:
Same here, some of the bags from the bottom of the pile (I was too lazy to rotate the stock last spring) have date codes of 10/06, They have been stored in an outdoor shed on a pallet since sometime in early 07. They are burning just as well as the newer stuff.

Got down to the bottom and hit a few 04/06 bags over the weekend, that makes them almost 2 years old. Burned just as good and now I only have fresh 2007 stock :)

I'm burning some now that I've had in my cellar for 18 months, with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.