Storing Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn Jefferson

Oct 25, 2012
I think I know the answer to this but just wanted to make sure....

Can someone tell me is it an issue to store my bags of pellets outside under my covered deck? Under my deck I have a roof so the bags of pellets don't get rain or snow on them. I'm assuming the bags of pallets are completely sealed so it should be fine for them to be stored outside in the cold right?

Thanks
Glenn

The pallets are sealed, But the bags aren't. They have little vent holes that can let water in if they get wet. Seeing wind can blow rain/snow sideways, I'd keep em covered the best you can and you should be fine.

I agree w/ Jay....keep the original factory wrap on them, and maybe even an extra tarp, and you should be good to go for a long time.

Definitly keep them covered wih the factory bag if possible. If you cant, a tarp or a few wraps with shrink wrap will help.

As Jay said, the individual bags have small holes in them. Water and Pellets are not friends :(

Thanks guys, i did not know that the bags were not sealed. I figured they were sealed until being opens. Even if i put a tarp over them wouldn't moisture in the air still get inside the bags? They are stored under my deck right now which has a plastic roof on them and no water or snow gets on them. I can put them in my basement but I was trying to avoid taking up the room by having them in my basement.

you should be fine out side with an additional cover over them. I store mine in the basement up on a plastic shelf off the floor and with a dehumidifier in the room for the summer months i have had condensation build up on the plastic bags if i left them on the concrete floor. Sucks carrying them down the steps but in the winter I don't have to go out side and my 12 year old daughter can get the pellets from the basement .works for me

I store my stash in the garage which keeps them dry. Is there an issue with dumping cold pellets into the hopper?

The pellets I.m burning now have been sitting on a trailer under a shed attached to my barn for two years.One side attached to barn with three open sides.I keep the factory wrap and then put a tarp over that.I have not had any problems what so ever.I've had more problems with the ones stored in the garage with higher HUMIDITY...

Status
Not open for further replies.