Storing pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annabelle

Oct 25, 2008
new york
I built an overhang off an existing outdoor shed to store my pellets. Made it big enough for 4 ton. Has no floor, but does have roof and walls. I want to empty some of the bags in a large plastic rubbermaid garbage can and leave in the house, so I don't have to keep toting in bags everyday. Someone told me that if the bags are open they get moisture. Will it be alright to dump open bags in this garbage can and store them in the house with the top on?

I keep a Rubbermaid container righ next to my stove...With a Cat Litter bucket in it so my 21 Y.O. weakling daughter can fill the stove...the container holds about 3 bags...

That is what I was thinking as well. Just wanted to be sure it was okay to store pellets loose in the bucket, and not worry about the moisture. We weren't thinking too well when we built the outside storage for the pellets, it is alittle away from the house. Not too interested in carrying one bag at a time when the snow comes.

Just make sure you have them stored on pallets, to keep them off the ground...I keep about 10 or 12 bags in may laundry room....and replenish from the garage...into the house as I need...Happy Burning...

annabelle said:
Will it be alright to dump open bags in this garbage can and store them in the house with the top on?

Shouldn't be any problem at all doing that.

As for your outdoor storage area, you might want to put down 2-3" of pea gravel under the overhang to help drain any water. Make sure to keep the pallets underneath bags, cover well with a good quality tarp.....you should be good to go.

We have them stacked on top of two pallets for each ton. Good idea for the gravel. Hopefully I can do that before the cold sets in. I was also looking around the house to find a corner to stack bags as well. Just alittle nervous about stacking too many on floor. The house is a 1900 old farm house and am alittle nervous about the weight on the floor. Guess for now, I will try the Rubbermaid garbage can and go from there. Any idea if rodents bother the pellet bags outside? I'm afraid I may get to my back tons in middle of winter and find holes in the bags.

annabelle said:
Any idea if rodents bother the pellet bags outside? I'm afraid I may get to my back tons in middle of winter and find holes in the bags.

There is a brook behind my garage so needless to say there are lots
of mice inside my garage. They built a nest on the manifold of my
corvette one year, but they've never touched the wood pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.