Storing Pelletts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berg

Feb 18, 2012
utah
Looking at buying a hoard and wondered if storing pelletts off the floor in a garage.
Do pelletts break down and create more fines or am I good to go and store about 3-4 tons?

opinions please.......

I think as long as your garage isn't going to have a lot of humidity they will be fine. You're doing the right thing by getting them off the floor. I'm sure you'll here from plenty of guys here that they have used pellets they've stored for 1, 2 or sometimes 3 years. I had about 1/2 ton left from last year that I kept in my basement and it kept and burned just fine in October. Good luck!

100% fine they will only break down if you keep moving them around and watch the humidity but you will be fine store away

Reactions: save$
Go for it! They will be fine if they are dry. It's that simple. As for "breaking down"? Just dont throw a party and use your pellets as a dance floor. Enjoy!

Just don't let them get direct contact with water. I'd keep them on the original skid to keep em off the floor.

If you could use additional stacking height replace the skid with some empty pellet bags to create a moisture barrier.

A little birdie told us that pellets have an expiration date and are only good for about one season, so be sure to call your nearest pellet pig for proper disposal.

Lets see check my signature the LGs were fall of 2009, the Cubex are summer of 2010, the MWP were spring of 2011.

Oh and don't stack your bags of pellets on top of empty pellet bags laid on the garage floor, the bags leak like a sieve, first layer should be a skid or something high enough to keep any water that gets into the storage area from say a car's wheels away from the pellets.

Hmm...couple of layers works ok for me ,don't bring wet things into the garage though.

Hmm...couple of layers works ok for me ,don't bring wet things into the garage though.

Yes but not all storage areas are dry 24/7/365/6 and a number of areas have water lines running through them and things are well known for having oppsy moments sort of like our favorite pastime the pellet stove or the 'tricity supply, ....

Ive stored some two seasons now in my garage on pallets. No problems. Not sure if I would if my garage was very very humid.

Gotcha. Never had or heard of water issues in a garage. Better safe than sorry then. If you got pipe leak/ burst worries I would cover the stack as well. Gotta say pipes in a garage sounds unusual to me. Not usually heated?

I don't think it is humidity you need to worry about, just if they have water on them like a leaking roof. I have touched my pellet bags many times and found them moist from condensation. Even pellets three years old are just fine. All my pellet stacks are on skids and are not up against the walls etc. I don't subscribe to buying pellets that you know have been kept out in the open for any length of time.

I would keep them up off if a concrete floor just to be safe the concrete could condensate our a spill or what ever. I store mine in my basement but I have a humidifier down there

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Gotcha. Never had or heard of water issues in a garage. Better safe than sorry then. If you got pipe leak/ burst worries I would cover the stack as well. Gotta say pipes in a garage sounds unusual to me. Not usually heated?

You just don't have a garage under.

ETA: Mine has a well pressure tank and pump, a dhw boiler, hot water heater, an oil tank, a Car (with a less than dry underside and wheels), lots of water lines and over 8 ton of pellets on skids stacked 15 layers high.

If you ask some (we know who)? Then yes. They will go bad.

But in reality. No... Keep them dry and you'll be fine. I haven't bought tonnage in almost 3 yrs. Bought almost 10 ton a fee yrs back and been burnin ever since.

Buy them up and stack them up....

These are still in my garage (Rocky Mountains and Sets)
IMG_20121124_162215.jpg

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
When I was much younger my garage wall looked similar but instead of pellets it was empties.

If you ask some (we know who)? Then yes. They will go bad.

But in reality. No... Keep them dry and you'll be fine. I haven't bought tonnage in almost 3 yrs. Bought almost 10 ton a fee yrs back and been burnin ever since.

Buy them up and stack them up....

These are still in my garage (Rocky Mountains and Sets)
View attachment 95368
Dang Dexter, I aspire to be that neat with my pellet stacks.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.